FORUMS: list search recent posts

Typing text effect in after effects can you alter speeds?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Rupesh Patel
Typing text effect in after effects can you alter speeds?
on Jul 30, 2017 at 5:54:03 pm

Ok so basically this is what happened, i have a worker from a freelancer website creating me a plain text video. The text appears on the screen. The way it appears is via a typing effect. Now he has sent to me the final version of the finished video and i noticed that the speed of typing varies on some words, not all but some so the majority of the text is fine in terms of the typing animation that occurs but i noticed on some occasion about 5 words in the whole video of 100 words or so that they seem to look like the animation occurs at a slower speed or rate in terms of the type so the letters look like they are appear on the screen slower.

Now i asked the coder to sort this out and told him that i wanted one consistent speed and that i didn't want those words to slow down his reply was the following:-

----------------------

We have control over speed with regards to keyframes as I mentioned above. Beyond that no. After effects does not make different speeds, it sets a default speed which we then alters by moving the keyframes

the closer the keyframes are to each other the faster the effect, the farther they are the slower the effect

Thing is when u ask me to alter the speed at a point, I need to take into consideration altering the speed of everything before and after to match, cos I alter according to what I feel is best speed but we are not the same person. So every alteration that u put me through is constant work & rework, There seems to be no end cos u cant be satisfied & I can never close this project. That's basically what it's come down to

Everything & everyone has limitations including people & software. I can only fix what I can, not everything that you think you need just because you don't have an understanding o how the process works.

-------------------------------------

So basically im here to pick the brains of one of you guys to let me know does this guys know whats he is talking about and is he right or is there a solution to this? I mean when you play computer games the typing effect of the text is consistent on all words from what i can see is that creative process not offered in after effects? Is it the case that the default typing animation built into after effects has limitations? Could this be created as stand alone by someone more well equipped to fix this? Its only 5 words that look slower (confused)

Thanks so much for ur help guys awesome forum here to!

Return to posts index

Steve Bentley
Re: Typing text effect in after effects can you alter speeds?
on Jul 31, 2017 at 1:33:49 pm

How we usually handle this is to make the text with the effect a sub comp but make it so the effect takes much much longer than you want. Then in the outer comp use enable time remapping. You still have to insert keyframes but as long as you always alter the position of the key frame you are interested in AND the final key frame (assuming you work from left to right) the original timing between the two stays intact and you can tweak to your hearts content to get time based kerning you are looking for. And because the original layer is long you have the resolution to mess about with time. Some will argue that you can do this without having a long typing effect since AE will figure it all out before outputing the frame you are looking for - true in most cases but with the typeing effect it screws up previously revealed text just like you have found when trying to do it right on the layer.

Remember to turn on the little sun icon to keep the vector of the nesterd text layer nice and crisp if you resize things.

There's another way too if your penmanship is good.
Use a brush and paint on a stroke over time on top of a precomped layer of text. This will record in real time and you can speed up and slow down as you see fit and then tweak the final performance. Use the painted stroke as a mask to reveal the text through. The only issue with this one is that you will see bits of the text yet to be revealed where the text line surrounds counters like a lower case e.

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
Re: Typing text effect in after effects can you alter speeds?
on Aug 2, 2017 at 10:22:14 am

One way to address this using the Typewriter preset is to change its Units from relative measure (percentage) to absolute measure (index) and use expressions on the range selector's Start and End properties, like this:

Units: Index
Start:
(time - inPoint) * 10
End:
text.sourceText.length

It sounds like both you and your designer are frustrated by this project. I would encourage your designer to use Creative COW as a resource if he or she is looking for help or is worried that something can't be done. I'd encourage you to be a good client: come to a mutual understanding with your designer on a clear definition of "done," consolidate your change requests, and understand when you're asking to change the scope of the original agreement.

Walter Soyka
Designer & Mad Scientist at Keen Live [link]
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
@keenlive [twitter]   |   RenderBreak [blog]   |   Profile [LinkedIn]

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]