FORUMS: list search recent posts

Workflow - Versioning with Dynamically Linked Comps

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Markus Stone
Workflow - Versioning with Dynamically Linked Comps
on Jul 29, 2017 at 1:00:41 am

Hi there,

I have a premiere project with a number of dynamically linked AE graphics in the timeline.

The client wants changes to the graphics, but we want to retain the original version as well.

If I save a new Premiere Project, it still links to the original After Effects compositions. So if I edit the AE comps, it ends up changing the original version of the project too!

So I suppose I need to save a new After Effects project and individually import the required after effects comps into Premiere, then manually place them in the timeline. This is a PITA, as the GFX have been further edited in the timeline for timing.

What I really need is a 'replace footage' that works with Dynamic Link (currently greyed out).

Failing that, it seems a really cumbersome way of managing project versions with dynamic linking. Surely there must be a better way, or at least, a better way of organising my project next time, but I can't see it.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Markus

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: Workflow - Versioning with Dynamically Linked Comps
on Jul 29, 2017 at 5:30:12 pm

What's the problem with duplicating comps & timelines in both applications & making changes? Sure, it's a little extra work, but it won't kill you, y'know....

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Markus Stone
on Jul 30, 2017 at 1:40:30 am

It just seems like the timeline can treat an entire AE Comp as a single piece of footage via Dynamic Link, except where it comes to the 'replace footage' function. I'm sure there's reasons, but it seems like such a useful function that is just dangling tantalisingly out of reach...

Yes, I can duplicate the comps, but I can't make Dynamic Link link to the new copies without manually importing and cut and pasting which destroys the editing I did to the comps in Premiere.

Maybe it's a lesson to me to do all comp adjustments in AE only, which I guess means exporting a lot of audio to AE for timing purposes, and I find AE doesn't excel at playing back and forth over timelines because it's an effects package, not a realtime NLE like Premiere.

-Markus

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Jul 31, 2017 at 4:46:27 pm

It would be helpful to know exactly what you're doing with all that audio. Personally, I'd just export a scratch track from PP. You can eliminate any unnecessary audio -- it'll be easier to time animations out to the audio that way.

And if you're trying to time animation to sound effects, I find that I almost always have to tweak the timing in the editing application, anyway.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Martin Kruul
on Aug 1, 2017 at 2:10:34 pm

This is what I would do --

Move the original AE project away from wherever you have it saved. Duplicate that project file, make all your changes, then either place the new project file with the same name back to the destination where Premiere is looking for it, or open Premiere and when it asks you to link all of the missing media, link it to the new project file. As long as all of your Comp names are the same, it should automatically link to all of your new work while keeping all of the edits you made while in Premiere.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]