FORUMS: list search recent posts

How would I key someone into a shopping cart?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mable Wheeler
How would I key someone into a shopping cart?
on Jul 28, 2017 at 7:47:52 pm

I'm just kind of racking my brain here, would I have to make a mask of only the first row of wires or is there a way I can get a clean shot of my background and chroma the cart in a way that would make it more effective? Thanks so much!

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: How would I key someone into a shopping cart?
on Jul 28, 2017 at 8:06:58 pm

Please describe the shot you're seeing in your mind's eye in great detail -- what the subject's doing, what's happening with the cart, where it takes place, what the camera's doing, etc.

Planning a good effects shot is all about the details.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Mable Wheeler
on Jul 28, 2017 at 8:25:38 pm

Thanks so much for getting back to me!

It sounds weird, but for a music video shoot coming up we want to have a 3d model driving in a shopping cart. I'd really prefer to do the shots without having to use a model of a shopping cart.

The character would be sitting in the largest section of the shopping cart, and there would be shots from all different angles.

My big concern is that I don't know how to effectively get the front wire showing up infront of the model while having the model block the back wire.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Jul 29, 2017 at 12:00:28 am

I'm confused -- are you talking about a REAL shopping cart from Wegman's/Kroger/Piggly Wiggly/Hy Vee/Name Your Grocery Store or a one constructed in a 3D app?

If you're modeling a cart in 3D, save yourself a lot of grief and put your 3D human model in it!

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Mable Wheeler
on Jul 30, 2017 at 1:07:25 am

I'd rather do a real one, but if i have to do a 3d one i know how to do it just fine.

Return to posts index

Tero Ahlfors
on Jul 30, 2017 at 3:10:43 pm

You'd be better off putting whoever you want to be in the cart during shooting.

Return to posts index

Steve Bentley
on Jul 31, 2017 at 1:54:50 pm

With a real cart and 3d model inside you're going to have to do a whole lot of 3D tracking to nail that 3d charcter into the cart so he doesn't drift around in there.
Keying the wires of the cart can be tricky because they reflect the enviro (assuming a chrome wire cart). So you can't pull a luma matte off them. And green screen behind would key all the rungs - front and back so the character would look like he's behind the cart not in it. And lining the inside with green would only let you see the front rungs.
Why not motion track empty footage and build or buy a 3d cart for your character to be in. then those two are anchored together by the animation. Take a panorama pic of the "store" or whatever so you get an environment map to reflect in the cart rungs. HDRI preferabaly if you can - the hotspots will look more real.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]