FORUMS: list search recent posts

How do I get the real coordinates of a 3D layer oriented along a path?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
James Braithwaite
How do I get the real coordinates of a 3D layer oriented along a path?
on Jul 26, 2017 at 12:56:04 pm

I'm using Element3D, (a 3D plugin for After Effects) and I have a model that uses the position and rotation of a 3D null object to move around in 3D space. It also means I can parent other 3D layers to this null object, and generally makes the whole affair a lot easier.

Anyway, I want to have this null object orient along a path, but because it doesn't output rotation values the 3D object doesn't rotate along with it. Now, I have found an expression to fix this and it works pretty much perfectly:

L = this_comp.layer("LAYER");
s = L.scale/100;
u = L.to_world_vec([s[0],0,0]);
v = L.to_world_vec([0,s[1],0]);
w = L.to_world_vec([0,0,s[2]]);
sinb = clamp(w[0],-1,1);
b = Math.asin(sinb/this_comp.pixel_aspect);
cosb = Math.cos(b);
if (Math.abs(cosb) > .0005){
c = -Math.atan2(v[0],u[0]);
a = -Math.atan2(w[1],w[2]);
}else{
a = Math.atan2(u[1],v[1]);
c = 0;
}
[radians_to_degrees(a),radians_to_degrees(b),radians_to_degrees(c)]

However, it is extremely long and complicated. I never learned expressions, and I don't have the foggiest idea of what most of it means. My current project requires, or would prefer, a simpler expression if that is at all possible.

If nothing else, from now on I think I'll endeavour to learn expressions beyond wiggle, time and loopOut, rather than just using Google.

Return to posts index

Steve Bentley
Re: How do I get the real coordinates of a 3D layer oriented along a path?
on Jul 31, 2017 at 3:10:35 pm

Can you reoutput your 3D nulls from your 3D package? If so, don't use nulls. Stick a camera inside your object that would normally become your null and have it fly around with the object. When the camera comes in it will have rotation information

Return to posts index

James Braithwaite
Re: How do I get the real coordinates of a 3D layer oriented along a path?
on Aug 3, 2017 at 2:23:50 pm

Assuming I've understood correctly, it doesn't seem that the camera outputs rotational data when oriented along a path.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]