FORUMS: list search recent posts

Short Date counter...

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Matthew Rogers
Short Date counter...
on Jul 22, 2017 at 4:03:55 am
Last Edited By Matthew Rogers on Jul 22, 2017 at 10:57:50 am

Guys I am extremely new to after effects, but I need to set up a short date counter going up from say November of last year to September of this year. How do I get it setup? How do I overlay it on a group of video clips? And then how do I get that into Premiere?

Thanks!

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
Re: Short Date counter...
on Jul 23, 2017 at 11:53:01 am

This is not the easiest task you could have picked as an introduction to After Effects, but I'll try to help. What do you need the date counter to actually look like? Please be as visual as you can here. The more you can show us, the better we can help you.

Walter Soyka
Designer & Mad Scientist at Keen Live [link]
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
@keenlive [twitter]   |   RenderBreak [blog]   |   Profile [LinkedIn]

Return to posts index

Matthew Rogers
on Jul 23, 2017 at 1:40:14 pm

So this video is an example of what I'm trying to accomplish:

Just trying to go from a date last November through a date this September, just need something like the video linked above where I can scroll it at the bottom on top of the video.

From what I've been told After Effects is the way to accomplish this, but if that's incorrect let me know. I've self taught myself a good bit in Premiere, but I am far from even moderately experienced in the whole CC package of programs. I mainly do video editing for our youth football team weekly videos.

Thanks!

Return to posts index

Ocean Byrne
on Jul 23, 2017 at 7:20:19 pm

Well, this example is actually easier than if you wanted the text to just change, without the roll up effect.

So you need to create 2 separate text layers, one for months stacked vertically, and one for the days stacked vertically. The days will be big and tall as it will go from 1-31,1-30,1-28,1-31(only the right amount of days) and so on for all each day that passed.

Line the tops up and keyframe the position for each, and then figure out how long you want the entire scroll to take, go to that time and shift up arrow the Days Layer until the bottom day is lined up with the top month. In your example they have motion blur on the layer and eased in and out the keyframes.

You could just do the same for the months. However, depending on the effect you are going for, I would want it to sit on the month, and then shift up when 31 goes to 1, then sit, and so on. So I think you have 11 months total (?) go 11 frames from your start keyframe and create the end keyframe with the last month at the top. Now create a keyframe on each of the 11 frames between, having letting AE do the interpretation for you. Now select all those frames, and hold down Alt and drag the end key frame out to when the last month should come up, and you will see the keys stretch accross time. Now Ctrl+C to copy all those keys, step forward a few frames, and paste all those frames so you have a stepping motion. You'll probably have to tweak to get the timing right with the days.

Finally, pre-compse both layers into a single composition, and then in the main timeline draw a mask around just the top line of dates, then give the mask a bit of a feather, and BAM, you got just what you need!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]