FORUMS: list search recent posts

Change fill to stroke - alpha matte?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mike Douglas
Change fill to stroke - alpha matte?
on Jul 21, 2017 at 8:25:43 pm

Hey there, is there any quick/easy way to change an alpha matte / luma matte from being a fill to being stroked?

For example, I have a luma matte render of a CG character from C4D - so it's white on black. I want to quickly make that into an outline instead of a fill. And yes, I realize I could render this out using the Cel Renderer in C4D. But I don't always want to do that, and that may not work in some cases.

Here's what I currently do:
- Use Set Matte (using Luminance) to change it from a luma matte to an alpha matte
- duplicate my layer, use Simple Choker with a positive value to cut into the matte
- set the Track Matte for my first layer (without the choker) to Alpha Inverted (using my 2nd layer as the matte layer)
- then, if need be, pre-comp both layers and add a Fill to change it to whatever colour I need

This seems like a lot of steps - is there an easier way? Also, it doesn't work great if your element touches the edge of the frame, as it will then add an outline around there as well. Thanks!

Return to posts index

Mohsen Saeedi
Re: Change fill to stroke - alpha matte?
on Jul 21, 2017 at 10:55:36 pm

Layer > Layer style > Stroke
Creates outline around the alpha, just like photoshop.
for keying out black matte, I Always use free plugin "UnMult" from Red Giant.

Return to posts index

Mike Douglas
Re: Change fill to stroke - alpha matte?
on Jul 24, 2017 at 5:13:18 pm

Thanks Mohsen. Good ideas there. I had forgotten about UnMult - I'll start using that again.

Re: using Stroke, that's a good technique, but I find it has some flaws. I compared the result of that vs my method, and while they're similar, using the Stroke layer style gives me a very aliased outer edge for some reason (I tried to attach a screengrab but it wasn't working).

Also, I then don't get JUST the stroke - it's still filled as well. If I want to get it to work on top of other footage, I need to fill the layer with black, then put it on Lighten/Screen/Add, which is likely fine in most cases but not all.

Thanks for the tips!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]