FORUMS: list search recent posts

Can I do this?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jerry Smith
Can I do this?
on Jul 18, 2017 at 11:15:51 pm

If I had a composition that was just text, could I precomp it, then scale up the precomp by 100%, then double the main comp size and thus get a composition that has double the resolution? Assume I continuously rasterize.

I just did it, but the text seems slightly degraded. But that may be due to exactly how it is placed. And Adobe has made me blind anyway, so my judgement in these matters is suspect.

Return to posts index

john younger
Re: Can I do this?
on Jul 19, 2017 at 12:00:48 am

If i understand correctly the answer is yes.

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Jul 19, 2017 at 1:39:47 pm

Composition layers don't have a "continuously rasterize" switch. They have "Collapse transformations," which might look similar in some cases but can be very, very different in others.

Just run the Scale Composition.jsx script that's included in After Effects. (File > Scripts > Scale Composition.jsx). You can enter a new size for the comp and Ae will scale everything for you. Text layers are always continuously rasterized, so they'll remain sharp.

Walter Soyka
Designer & Mad Scientist at Keen Live [link]
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
@keenlive [twitter]   |   RenderBreak [blog]   |   Profile [LinkedIn]

Return to posts index

Jerry Smith
on Jul 19, 2017 at 5:47:57 pm

Thanks to both of you.

The scale composition script isn't working for me. Might have something to do with the fact that my comps were created in AE2014 but I needed to open them in AE2015 to get the script.

But the script looks pretty simple and I'm not too worried about it.

The bigger issue is this. I have pixel perfect PS files that I have imported. Mostly rectangles. Just to get them to remain pixel perfect in AE, I needed to use a Matte Choker. About 10% of them would beed into neighboring pixels. There is some sort of Adobe bug that I tried to make sense of with the help of some folks here by clearing caches etc but to no avail. But the Matte Choker was my workaround for that Adobe bug and all was good.

But when I try and scale a composition containing those PS files, things get blurry and I get at least three edges instead of one.

I should have made my PS files at 1920*8 by 1080*8 to be ready for the day when we are watching at that uber duber resolution. But I didn't. Now it appears, there is no easy fix. The text seems OK. But these edges don't like to scale nicely even though the mathematics (as always!) is firmly on MY side.

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Jul 19, 2017 at 5:58:47 pm

[Jerry Smith] "The scale composition script isn't working for me. Might have something to do with the fact that my comps were created in AE2014 but I needed to open them in AE2015 to get the script. "

How is it not working? It should be pretty straightforward, but if something's failing, I'll try to help.

[Jerry Smith] "The bigger issue is this. I have pixel perfect PS files that I have imported. Mostly rectangles. Just to get them to remain pixel perfect in AE, I needed to use a Matte Choker. About 10% of them would beed into neighboring pixels. There is some sort of Adobe bug that I tried to make sense of with the help of some folks here by clearing caches etc but to no avail. But the Matte Choker was my workaround for that Adobe bug and all was good."

What bug?

If you're using rectangles, you can use either solids or shape layers in Ae and get a LOT more control over how everything works.

[Jerry Smith] "But these edges don't like to scale nicely even though the mathematics (as always!) is firmly on MY side."

Fuzzy edges is mathematically correct given Ae's default bilinear interpolation for scaling. If you want to use nearest-neightbor interpolation for the scaling, set the layer quality to Draft and override the "Best quality" render settings. (This will have other consequences for motion which may not be desirable.)

Walter Soyka

Return to posts index

Jerry Smith
on Jul 25, 2017 at 4:17:14 pm

Thanks Walter. I like that technique. I was skeptical it work to be honest. So long did struggle with blurry edge issues.

I have a problem though. Text comes in in precomps and precomps of precomps. And it doesn't look so good.

One work around is to do two exports. One without the text. Then one with the text. Then I could simply layer them assuming the text video will have a transparent background. Is that possible?! Like a png with a transparent background? If so, this double export strategy would probably work because my stuff is very 2D vanilla.

I'm also wondering if I just scale the text whether it gets blurred by the bilinear scaling. I assume not.

Like I say, this is not pressing. I'm just wanna be ready for 16K video.

Return to posts index

Jerry Smith
on Jul 25, 2017 at 4:18:51 pm

Not being allowed to edit posts results in more typos. I hope Cow took that into consideration.

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Jul 25, 2017 at 4:20:20 pm

[Jerry Smith] "Like I say, this is not pressing. I'm just wanna be ready for 16K video."

If you want to be ready for 16K video, then I suggest re-creating your original assets. Make them as native shapes in Ae or as vector art in Illustrator. Once you have vector graphics instead of bitmap graphics, you can scale it to any resolution Ae supports with no loss of sharpness.

Walter Soyka

Return to posts index

Jerry Smith
on Jul 25, 2017 at 7:38:08 pm

Nah. That won't happen.

But can I make a video with a transparent background?

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Jul 25, 2017 at 10:47:03 pm

[Jerry Smith] "But can I make a video with a transparent background?"

Sure. You just have to use a format that supports an alpha channel. You could use Animation, Cineform, DNxHD/DNxHR, PNG, or ProRes 4444.

You could also render a sequence of PNG, PSD, TGA, or EXR images.

Walter Soyka

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]