FORUMS: list search recent posts

I think After Effects corrupted my files (moved/altered layers). Should I just start over or is there another solution?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
John Holland
I think After Effects corrupted my files (moved/altered layers). Should I just start over or is there another solution?
on Jul 18, 2017 at 10:04:57 pm

Hello,

First of all, thank you all for your work in troubleshooting and teaching beginners like me!

Second, I have a problem. I have rigged some puppets with a character, and for some reason, they changed in After effects only.

I have pictures, and hopefully this isn't against the rules, but here they are:

First of all, After Effects seemingly scrambled all of the layers of my puppet:

When the source of the puppet, a Photoshop file, has all of the layers in place just fine and hasn't changed for a long time:

Another thing is that some layers have physically changed, like I have gone in with a brush or with a lasso tool and moved stuff or painted over stuff, which I haven't:

And when I reload the layers, they don't change in the comp, but they do fix themselves in the layer preview screen:

Is there anything I can do to fix it? Should I just start over and make another rigged puppet? I guess it wouldn't be the worst thing in the world, but the thing is that there are seven different colors of this character, and it seems that the problem is happening to all of them...

Any help would be appreciated! Thanks!

-John

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
Re: I think After Effects corrupted my files (moved/altered layers). Should I just start over or is there another solution?
on Jul 19, 2017 at 1:34:24 pm

The first thing you should try is clearing the After Effects cache: Edit > Purge > All Memory & Disk Cache...

Walter Soyka
Designer & Mad Scientist at Keen Live [link]
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
@keenlive [twitter]   |   RenderBreak [blog]   |   Profile [LinkedIn]

Return to posts index

John Holland
Re: I think After Effects corrupted my files (moved/altered layers). Should I just start over or is there another solution?
on Jul 19, 2017 at 3:14:36 pm

Thanks, Walter. After clearing All Memory and Disk Cache, the problem persists, and the pictures I posted above still apply: pieces of my layers are still "broken off" or moved inside the layer, and the entire puppet is way out of wack.

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Jul 19, 2017 at 6:00:19 pm

Can you post a screenshot of your entire UI, not just the comp window? It'd be helpful to see what you're seeing. I suspect that you are now looking through a different camera than the one you set the comp up with.

Walter Soyka
Designer & Mad Scientist at Keen Live [link]
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
@keenlive [twitter]   |   RenderBreak [blog]   |   Profile [LinkedIn]

Return to posts index

John Holland
on Jul 19, 2017 at 7:39:11 pm

Absolutely, here you are:

Also! I figured out that my puppet pins got moved as well, and that is what is causing the detached pieces. I still don't know why they moved or why they detached the thumbs/fingers (I haven't used any starch and the layers are continuous), but "muting" the puppet effect makes the layers ok.

I guess then that something is changing position values in my comp. but what? I haven't touched this file in a month, and when I did, I used it just fine. This has happened to my other characters as well. Any ideas?

-John

PS also? I am having to change the embed heights waay lower than what they are given. I guess this is a problem with Flickr, or is it a problem with how CCow interprets them? Who knows.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]