FORUMS: list search recent posts

Can you turn off / switch off a track matte or trim path effect after you've finished using it

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Kate Chesterton
Can you turn off / switch off a track matte or trim path effect after you've finished using it
on Jul 18, 2017 at 2:52:40 pm

Hi there,

Would really appreciate some expert help here. I've got myself a bit stumped!...

I'm animating some ai illustrations that use outlines that have an irregular line width applied.

Creating a new shape & stroke that follows the irregular line & using the trim path effect set to 'Alpha Matte' works really well to animate the lines in in a dynamic way. But what do I do if I then want to animate the ai layer afterwards? At the moment the trim path & track matte means that the layer disappears if I move it away from the trim path shape. Is there any way I can switch of these off after the animate in stage is finished?

Sorry if I haven't explained myself very well. One practical example is I have the arm of a character that looks like it draws on with the trim path effect, but I then need to move that arm. Hope that makes sense? Any help very much appreciated!

Thanks

Return to posts index

Michael Szalapski
Re: Can you turn off / switch off a track matte or trim path effect after you've finished using it
on Jul 18, 2017 at 3:28:41 pm

You could use the Set Matte effect instead of making a layer a track matte. You can then keyframe the source of the matte.
Alternatively, split the layer once the animation is done and you'll have the arm free and clear with no track matte! :)

- The Great Szalam
(The 'Great' stands for 'Not So Great, in fact, Extremely Humble')

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

Kate Chesterton
Re: Can you turn off / switch off a track matte or trim path effect after you've finished using it
on Jul 18, 2017 at 4:26:12 pm

D'oh! Splitting the layer after! Seems so simple now you say it, thank you.

I'll have a go at the Set Matte effect too. So much to learn with AE. Thanks for taking the time to reply.

Return to posts index

Michael Szalapski
on Jul 18, 2017 at 4:33:17 pm

No problem; glad to help!
And yes, there is a LOT to learn with After Effects. ☺
Have fun!

- The Great Szalam
(The 'Great' stands for 'Not So Great, in fact, Extremely Humble')

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]