FORUMS: list search recent posts

I just want to change a solid colored background. Now my skin and hair are out of wack.

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Gates Bradley
I just want to change a solid colored background. Now my skin and hair are out of wack.
on Jul 18, 2017 at 12:12:08 am

I'm working on a short video that is a collection of interviews shot against the same solidly lit cyclorama. The director wanted the option to have a different color background when we cut from one person to the other, but there wasn't time to shoot each interview twice (lit with the two colors), so the decision was made to shoot the background green, knowing it'd be easy to change the background hue digitally, as needed, without affecting the foreground subject. For the most part this works, but there was a lot of spill.

The method to do this was to make a secondary color correction matte/mask in Lumetri that isolated the background color. Since this was not a green screen shoot, but a cyclorama that was lit green, I thought, not a problem, when we change the background hue from green to one of the two desired colors (a deep blue-purple, and a sea green), it will also change the spill in the same manner relative to the background. Colored spill on the subject was actually desired. However the hue and saturation change of the spill does not seem to be consistent relative to the background.

I'm at a loss, because now the hair and skin tones look way too purple and saturated, not at all matching the natural spill of their background, but I don't know why. I really could use some advice.

See the video below. I'm mostly concerned with the hair and the side of her face.

Return to posts index

Richard Garabedain
Re: I just want to change a solid colored background. Now my skin and hair are out of wack.
on Jul 18, 2017 at 2:27:40 pm

I am having no problem keying this. But Change to color works beautifully on this shot.

Return to posts index

Gates Bradley
Re: I just want to change a solid colored background. Now my skin and hair are out of wack.
on Jul 18, 2017 at 10:20:14 pm

First of all, THANK YOU for taking a look at this with me.

I tried Change to Color, but I kept getting huge chunky splotches. Can I ask what your setting were? Maybe I've never known how to properly use it. I was using RGB as the selector setting, with a really low threshold and softness. It seems whenever I use Change Color/Change to Color/Hue Saturation/et al I always ended up with something very chunky and ugly when viewed in motion.

I'm not trying to key it out (one of the problems on set was the Gaffer had lit it TOO evenly, making things look like a key), but would like the natural green spill to shift naturally with the background, so, for example, it looks like it was lit with purple light, or orange (I need to make a few colors).

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]