FORUMS: list search recent posts

Resources that explain why video/motion graphics "require" a powerful computer?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Boe Beito
Resources that explain why video/motion graphics "require" a powerful computer?
on Jul 10, 2017 at 11:37:04 pm

Hi folks,

I won't bore you with all of the details but I started a new position in which I'll be editing 4k (GH5/Phantom 4) footage in after effects and premiere. I was allotted a nice budget to order the aforementioned gear + the other equipment needed to get started with the promise that I'd have a $3,000-$4,000 budget for an edit bay and storage solution shortly there after. Well, now that the time has come to order said equipment, there's been some push back and the department director wanted me to instead use the dual-core lenovo laptop that was abandoned when someone quit. He was a "designer" so why won't it work for video?

I'm meeting with the director tomorrow to basically sing for my supper and explain to him why video editing is taxing and requires a powerful machine and fast storage. It's a frustrating situation and I just started to I definitely don't want to end up in an argument. So, I'd really like it if I could provide him with a succinct explanation or--even better--some online articles or resources that explain why professional edit bays are so powerful and costly. I can't help but feel a little slighted by this as when they hired me they said it was because of my experience and expertise in a realm (video) that they have no knowledge of and now I kind of feel like they think I'm just trying to waste a bunch of budget on a "cool" "blinged-out" computer or something. I put in for a freakin' Thinkpad....

However, I want to remain positive and go in with an open mind. I'm sure he just wants to understand where the investment is going. Unfortunately, the situation has kind of stressed me out and I was hoping that you guys could provide some helpful tips or resources. I chose the AE forum because I thought it would be the best bet for knowing the pain of working in AE on a subpar system, as well as the reasons to try and avoid that fate.

Thanks, folks!

-Boe

Return to posts index

Richard Garabedain
Re: Resources that explain why video/motion graphics "require" a powerful computer?
on Jul 11, 2017 at 2:30:53 pm

They will probably end up buying their own computer and letting you use it while you work for them. Thats what they usually do.

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
Re: Resources that explain why video/motion graphics "require" a powerful computer?
on Jul 11, 2017 at 2:33:27 pm

I'd start the discussion with this concept: video (in the US) is 30 images per second. A system that is perfectly capable of editing a single image may well struggle with the sheer volume of pixels to process with moving images.

Perhaps a link like this will help:
https://www.pugetsystems.com/recommended/Recommended-Systems-for-Adobe-Afte...

Walter Soyka
Designer & Mad Scientist at Keen Live [link]
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
@keenlive [twitter]   |   RenderBreak [blog]   |   Profile [LinkedIn]

Return to posts index

Boe Beito
on Jul 12, 2017 at 7:24:37 pm

Thanks, folks! I provided them with some info and I think we might be out of the woods. I told them that I could definitely get by for less and I think effectively conveyed why video editing is taxing for a computer system.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]