After effects playback speed

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Fritz O'Brien
After effects playback speed
on Jul 10, 2017 at 10:22:42 am
Last Edited By Fritz O'Brien on Jul 10, 2017 at 11:21:32 am

G'day.
I am using AE 2017 on a surface Pro 4. (i7, 16gb RAM, 500gb HD)
I used to use it on a Surface Pro 2 (i5, 8gb RAM, 256gb HD) and it worked much better on the older machine.
Especially when it comes to previewing .
I have changed my settings in line with recommendations on COW forums.
I've got it in the least demanding render settings (1/4)
When I press play, the green pre-render bar shoots across very quickly.
But the playback is terrible. I have not yet achieved 25fps, even with the most basic of compositions.
Am I missing something? Is this something specific to the Surface Pro 4?

Return to posts index

Michael Szalapski
Re: After effects playback speed
on Jul 10, 2017 at 3:29:20 pm

It's probably to do with the higher resolution screen. There have been some issues with that...
What, exact, version number of AE are you using? Is it 14.2.1? If not, consider updating.
If you are running 14.2.1, try docking something like the progress panel or render queue underneath your timeline panel. See if that helps.

- The Great Szalam
(The 'Great' stands for 'Not So Great, in fact, Extremely Humble')

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

Fritz O'Brien
on Jul 12, 2017 at 1:32:23 am
Last Edited By Fritz O'Brien on Jul 12, 2017 at 1:44:33 am

The version is 14.0.0.207
But there are two factors:
1- I'm in China, so updating isn't really an option anymore. (Adobe Customer Service isn't great and can't work out how to update).
2- This issue has prevailed across multiple versions.

What do you mean docking the progress panel under timeline panel?
I just want the playback to work at a reasonable speed so I can edit the damn video.
The green bar loads super fast, why doesn't the speed of playback correspond to this? (even if it didn't load quickly, I'm patient enough to wait for it to preload, but the problem is that even when loaded, on the lowest settings possible, the playback still slows down so far as to be unusable).
I can wait as long as needed to actually render the project, it's the editing that's the issue.

Return to posts index

Michael Szalapski
on Jul 13, 2017 at 1:40:52 am

I mean dock a panel (any panel) underneath your timeline panel. In a number of cases this has fixed the problem.

If that doesn't do it, try turning off the "Hardware Accelerate...Panels" option in the preferences.

- The Great Szalam

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

Fritz O'Brien
on Jul 13, 2017 at 3:53:14 am

That is freaking incredible!
Who'd have thought that dragging a rarely used panel beneath the timeline would make such a difference?
It's still not perfect, but it is so much better!
Thanks dude. If I could pronounce it, I'd name my first-born son Szalapski ...but I can't so ...thanks :)

Return to posts index

Michael Szalapski
on Jul 13, 2017 at 3:08:58 pm

Haha! I'm glad it helped. ☺
Pronunciation varies. My family pronounces it one way (zuh-lap-ski) - probably due to the processes at Ellis Island when my great grandfather immigrated from Poland (he actually stowed away on a ship, but that's another story). And then there is the Polish pronunciation which is more like Shuh-lop-ski. But I would recommend against giving anyone that name as a first name OR a surname regardless of how you pronounce it!

Please file a bug report here: http://www.adobe.com/products/wishform.html
Give as much information as you can about the problems you were experiencing and the solution. Adobe has fixed a number of causes of this, but they (obviously) haven't fixed all of them yet.

- The Great Szalam

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]