FORUMS: list search recent posts

After Effects displacement map noisy/aliased

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Sean Jahnig
After Effects displacement map noisy/aliased
on Jul 9, 2017 at 9:09:52 am

Hi,

I'm working on a lyric video for a friends band. The concept is a frozen lake surface with lyrics that float up as they're being sung - and getting less and less displaced by the surface texture of the lake as it reaches the surface to give it a feeling of coming from the depths. Overall, i am happy with the video and i'm ready to deliver it because i've reached the deadline - however, there is some aliasing happening on the text (from a moving 3D camera) that causes like a noisy/wobbling effect and i'd love to be able to fix that if i can.

I've used 2 identical layers for the text with the same movement, but different displacement effect settings on each. The main layer will animate from deep to the surface and by the time its animation is done, there is no more displacement (ie. 0). The secondary layer sits below the main layer and has the same movement but when done it still has a bit of displacement remaining which is intended to give an effect of the text bleeding into the ice. The secondary layer is the problem as you will see from the sample link/file.

I've tried a few things without success and i've done some reading so i presume this is a problem with the 'displacement map' effect - specifically when it is being applied to the text. It isn't as noticeable in the main layer because the displacement effect is 0 by the time it stops moving but the same is not true for the secondary layer. The same displacement map layer is being applied to the background of the 'lake' surface and it is not having a problem at all.

Here's a sample link: https://vimeo.com/224807631/a43f5bae50 - somehow it looks cleaner on Vimeo but if you view the original file you'll see how bad it is.

You can download the original file from here: https://www.dropbox.com/s/8pj6913jepx7s54/test.mp4.zip?dl=0

I am using AE CS6 on mac. Would appreciate any advice that could help in getting this project from good to awesome by removing that aliasing.

Thanks,
Sean.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]