FORUMS: list search recent posts

Flipping cast Shadow from Light?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Paul Thompson
Flipping cast Shadow from Light?
on Jul 9, 2017 at 6:11:46 am

Hi, this is no doubt a very basic technique but I can't seem to work it out after a few hours or playing around...

I am trying to get the tree to cast its shadow to the front of the tree so it needs to be flipped around. I have attached at AE screenshot showing what it is currently doing and also a Illustrator file showing the way around it should be.

The tree will be animate so I cannot just use another layer like I have done in Illustator,
thanks

PT

Return to posts index

Jim Scott
Re: Flipping cast Shadow from Light?
on Jul 9, 2017 at 1:40:50 pm
Last Edited By Jim Scott on Jul 9, 2017 at 1:54:05 pm

Assuming that the layers are properly oriented and distributed in 3D space (the grass layer is oriented as a ground plane and is not just another vertical solid behind the tree mimicking the ground), to cast a shadow in front of the tree the light needs to be behind the tree. To keep the tree illuminated, and not silhouetted, you could add another light in front with shadows set to off, or just an ambient light.

As I look at your project though, I can see that your layers are 3D but I suspect that the grass layer sits vertically and is just moved back in Z space. Unless you set up the grass layer as a ground plane (rotated 90 degrees on the X axis) with the tree in the middle of it, there is no way to "flip" the shadow with the light in front. With the grass layer set vertically the only way it can receive a shadow from the tree is to have it behind the tree, which doesn't allow for control of the shadow in a realistic manner.

Hope this helps.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]