FORUMS: list search recent posts

Tinting a transparency with surrounding pixels

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
James Lee
Tinting a transparency with surrounding pixels
on Jul 9, 2017 at 3:55:11 am

I'm trying to create an elegant stack of effects that will recolour the lineart for animation. The idea is that the surrounding colour information will bleed in to the blacks, which will soften the look.

Here is the source art.

This is as far as I have gotten in isolating the line art

And my current effects stack

I wish to fill that transparent space with the blurred out colour information of the surrounding areas. I only want the information in that transparent space to be effected. Afterwards I can adjust the transparency of the layer to add some colour to the blacks. I'm now stuck, and can't figure out the next step. Is there a way to move forward without precomposing?

Any help would be appreciated.
Thank you

Return to posts index

Georgie Pentch
Re: Tinting a transparency with surrounding pixels
on Jul 9, 2017 at 3:17:30 pm

Wow. This is a tricky one. I do not believe you can move forward without making it into a pre-comp. Making it into a pre-comp, in general, will still be beneficial as you can make changes to the original. I might suggest turning it into a luma matte and then use minimax to expand/contract the non-alpha channel. Add a normal tint from there. If you want to change all of the linework in general, put a solid that's the same colour as the colour that you want to make your linework under the layer which has the linework keyed out. You could also duplicate the layer without the linework, and then blur the one on the bottom. If you don't want it that soft, use the first method I told you. Maybe combine the first one and the last one. If that doesn't work, I don't know what will. Hope that helped.

Return to posts index

James Lee
on Jul 9, 2017 at 10:20:13 pm

Thanks for your help! I did find a way to use the minimax plugin as you suggested to get an acceptable result, all on the one adjustment layer. Part of my problem was that I was isolating all of the coloured area, when I should have been isolating the lines. Below is the result of my isolated lines

And this is the lines on top of the art

Then reducing the adjustment layer with the effects stack by 40%

and the effects stack

The look isn't quite as nice as if I were to separate the character art in to multiple layers, as the other comment suggested, but this is going to be convenient for most cases I think.

The only thing I couldn't figure out was how to blur the colour art of the coloured line, without bluring the alpha. Using the Channel Blur plugin didn't give me the results that I wanted, and instead gave me a black halo around the line art.

Below is the lineart without blur

Lineart with the channel blur

And the composited result

Return to posts index

Georgie Pentch
on Jul 10, 2017 at 1:42:24 pm

I'm so glad I was able to help! Hope it works out well. :)

Return to posts index

Simon Ubsdell
on Jul 9, 2017 at 8:43:19 pm

Surely this is very simple unless I've misunderstood you.

Take your matted version and add a blur to spread the surrounding colours into the black areas. Then use the matted version as Track Matte (Alpha Inverted) to trim the result of the blurred version so it only appears over the black areas. Put the unmatted version beneath these two layers and then simply adjust the opacity of the blurred version.

Simon Ubsdell
tokyo productions
hawaiki

Return to posts index

James Lee
on Jul 9, 2017 at 10:26:13 pm

Thanks for the help. I did use your method, and it gave me the best results. However I did get much further with keeping the effects stack strictly to a single adjustment layer using CC composit. The only thing I couldn't figure out was bluring the colour of the lineart without bluring the alpha, as Channel Blur didn't give me the results I wanted. I'll use your method in the mean time, but If I can find a way to keep it all on the one adjustment layer, without to duplicate my art, its going to be much more convenient for me in the long run.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]