FORUMS: list search recent posts

Screen and Add Blend Mode reducing the color

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Vidur Muni
Screen and Add Blend Mode reducing the color
on Jul 4, 2017 at 4:41:06 am

Well, so I created some stock footage like Shockwave and Blasts and stuff ... but the thing is I pre rendered it with a black background... but after importing it to use... and changing the blend mode to screen/add takes away a lot of colour... and makes the colours a little bit dull. I know that removing black pixels can cause this... so I even stacked 2 duplicate and changed the mode to lighten and bla bla bla... and it started looking not so good and rather Fat ( sorry couldn't find a better explanation ). I even tried using Chroma keyer... and also recolour it using curves/levels, and also tried VCC color vibrance... but the feel just gets lost... i spent a lot of hours on making original stock footage so i'm a bit tilted on the fact that it's not turning out how i imagined :/ well, anyways any help/tips will be appreciated thanks boise and grills 😃 😃 😃

Return to posts index

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
Re: Screen and Add Blend Mode reducing the color
on Jul 4, 2017 at 11:16:40 am

Try using Unmult - it's a free Red Giant utility (you have to install Universe)

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
Senior VFX Artist

Return to posts index

Vidur Muni
on Jul 7, 2017 at 8:52:09 am

ok thanks it's much better with unmult....

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Jul 6, 2017 at 1:27:59 pm

Just a little explanation of what's going on: blend modes like Add, Screen and Lighten take both images being blended into account; that is, adding a fire image over an already bright image will make it even brighter, and that will wash out your color.

Remember, it's doing just what it says on the tin: it's adding the values of the top image pixels to the values of the lower image pixels, giving you something that's brighter than either one of them.

Unmult as Tudor mentions, plus normal blending, will preserve more of the original color because it will only seek to make the darkest parts of the image transparent; the rest of the image will preserve more of its original color, and normal blending will not make it any brighter than either of the sources were.

Walter Soyka
Designer & Mad Scientist at Keen Live [link]
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
@keenlive [twitter]   |   RenderBreak [blog]   |   Profile [LinkedIn]

Return to posts index

Vidur Muni
on Jul 7, 2017 at 8:54:18 am

Hey, I didn't know how those Modes worked... thanks for explaining it so simply and easily... I'll keep that in mind :)

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]