FORUMS: list search recent posts

Troubleshooting 2D animation expressions

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
George Dougan
Troubleshooting 2D animation expressions
on Jul 3, 2017 at 4:26:39 pm

Good morning!

I have been attempting to learn AE expressions by experimenting with an airplane asset from the game "Luftrausers". The creator, Paul Veer, "scale(d) the wings when the planes rotate, and because they're flat coloured silhouettes this makes them look 3D". I've uploaded an example here: http://gph.is/2sjpSKn

So far, I have split the comp into three layers (body, wingL and wingR) and parented the wings to the body. I used Effects > Slider Controls to isolate scale controls for each wing ("scaleX" and "scaleY"), locked scaleY for both, and parented scaleX for both to the rotation of the body.

The result: When rotating the body to 0‎°, the wings scale to 0; at 90‎°, the wings scale to 90‎ (great!)
However, I would like to have the wings at 90‎ when the body is rotated to 0‎°, as per the attached GIF...
Furthermore, I would LOVE to be able to then rotate the ship to -90‎°, and have the wings scale to 90 (as opposed to -90), like in the GIF.

Any help would be greatly appreciated! Please let me know if you need any more information / clarification.

Cheers!
GD

Return to posts index

Liran Tabib
Re: Troubleshooting 2D animation expressions
on Jul 4, 2017 at 7:00:03 pm
Last Edited By Liran Tabib on Jul 6, 2017 at 7:15:57 pm

for the wing to hit 90 when the rotation hits 0 try 90-thisComp.layer("Plane").transform.rotation
to flip the value from -90 to 90 try -thisComp.layer("Plane").transform.rotation

"thisComp.layer("Plane").transform.rotation" is the code you get when you drag the pickwip to plane's rotation.

and of course all of that is on the code should be on the scale of the wings.

Good Luck!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]