FORUMS: list search recent posts

Wipe / Fade based on honeycomb pattern

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
wilhelm Hagberg
Wipe / Fade based on honeycomb pattern
on Jun 29, 2017 at 12:28:45 pm

Hi. I've created an Illustrator document with a honeycomb pattern. The illustrator file has 260 layers (each a hexagon) . I've imported the illustrator file as a composition into AE. Now i want to create several Wipes with this pattern and later use them as Alpha masks to reveal images.

Obviously I can achieve this by adding a fade to each layer and then move the layers around until they fade up in a neat order but it's extremely time consuming with all the layers. Is it possible to do this by scripting?

I would like to do the equivalent of a linear wipe but instead of the "line" it should use the hexagon shapes.

Best-
Wilhelm

Return to posts index

Richard Garabedain
Re: Wipe / Fade based on honeycomb pattern
on Jun 30, 2017 at 4:38:30 pm

well yes...but only if they are in the correct order...you could set them all to fade on..select all the layers starting from one end...make all the layers 1-3 frames long. go to keyframe -animation - sequence layers...then re-extend all the layers..and there you go....If they are not in order..well then i think you could do this using the shape replicator option in after effects

Return to posts index

Mark Whitney
on Jun 30, 2017 at 4:43:50 pm

I'm wondering if this might be something done rather quickly in Element 3D and with considerably fewer items to manage.

Return to posts index

Blaise Douros
on Jun 30, 2017 at 7:05:33 pm

In your original document, if you fill each hex (or each line of hexes) with a different ascending or descending grayscale value, you could use a gradient wipe with the hexes as the source.

Return to posts index

Richard Garabedain
on Jun 30, 2017 at 7:21:17 pm

Ya it works pretty easily with element so long as you use another layer to fill in the gaps between the hexagons..such as a simple linear wipe

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Jun 30, 2017 at 8:52:03 pm

This is also very easy to do with Trapcode Form: use two layers of Form with a custom hexagonal particle to generate the honeycomb (one for the odd rows, one that's offset a little horizontally for the even rows), then use layer maps or gradient maps in Form to create the wipe.

Walter Soyka
Designer & Mad Scientist at Keen Live [link]
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
@keenlive [twitter]   |   RenderBreak [blog]   |   Profile [LinkedIn]

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]