FORUMS: list search recent posts

Motion tracking and applying a stroke.

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
David Cowell
Motion tracking and applying a stroke.
on Jun 28, 2017 at 2:42:04 pm

Hi Guys,

first time posting on here but I always come here for advice regardless because this site is amazing:

so I am having a specific issue:

I am motion tracking some video footage, and part of this storyboard shows that a stroke is drawn around the character and moves along with him.

what I mean by this is the actor in the footage gets surrounded by a stroke.

My question is what would be the easiest/quickest way to get this effect? There's quite a lot of it so I really want to avoid using the pen tool and animating a path while the video is moving if that makes sense? I think if i do this then the path will look messy and will probably move all over the shop!

Hope this was descriptive enough?

look forward to your advice

regards

David

Return to posts index

Michael Szalapski
Re: Motion tracking and applying a stroke.
on Jun 28, 2017 at 4:14:54 pm

How accurate to the shape of this person does the stroke need to be? Can it be kind of scribbley or does it need to follow exactly?

- The Great Szalam
(The 'Great' stands for 'Not So Great, in fact, Extremely Humble')

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

David Cowell
on Jun 28, 2017 at 6:19:01 pm

Hi Michael,

It needs to follow the outline of a person, the stroke is quite thick so I don't think it needs to be incredibly detailed.

Cheers

David

Return to posts index

Richard Garabedain
on Jun 28, 2017 at 4:51:29 pm

Unless he was on green screen your going to have to rotoscope him out. They should have realized they needed a green screen for this kind of shot...good luck

Return to posts index

David Cowell
on Jun 28, 2017 at 6:17:40 pm

Hi Richard

Thanks for the reply! Unfortunately they have requested we use stock footage so we had absolutely no control with the video, but yes from what I can gather rotoscoping seems like the only option.

I wonder if there is a way I can use the rotobrush tool and somehow change the path into a stroke? Even that would save lots of time but if it cannot be done then I guess I better get down to it 😫

Cheers

David

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Jun 28, 2017 at 6:21:06 pm

You ought to be able to grow the matte around the subject, precomp the result and then use Auto Trace to create a mask on a solid. This can then be used with the Stroke effect to create an animated outline.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Michael Szalapski
on Jun 28, 2017 at 6:27:59 pm

Or you could use the Vegas Effect after you Rotoscope and have it based off of the image's alpha. (You'd need to mess with the settings so it's one, solid line instead of a bunch of soft lines.)

- The Great Szalam
(The 'Great' stands for 'Not So Great, in fact, Extremely Humble')

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

David Cowell
on Jun 29, 2017 at 10:23:52 am

Just an update for anyone who is looking for a solution:

Dave this worked very well for what I was looking for! thank you very much you've saved me hours ☺

thanks to everyone for all your responses!

Dave

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]