FORUMS: list search recent posts

Green screen partial blown out for cloning audience

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Fernando Silva
Green screen partial blown out for cloning audience
on Jun 28, 2017 at 12:17:41 am

Hi,
I'm trying to fill the rows of a theater with the same 5 persons cloned in different positions, but on some scenes I have the problem of bad lighting such as in this case https://youtu.be/uZEP9EzWt-A (flat) / https://youtu.be/kKYOvgkoS1Y (rec709) where the persons on the sides are blown out by the light being so close.
I shot with the blackmagic production camera on 4k Apple prores 422. Considering the keying I'm planning on rotoscoping (the green background helps to use the roto brush tool in AE) but the problem is to even out the light on the actors to allow for a global color grade (avoiding the sensation that are spotlights over some seats on the audience). If I knew I would shot with just the green screen and no extra lighting, using only the ambient light but now it's too late.
Any help will be much appreciated.
Thanks

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: Green screen partial blown out for cloning audience
on Jun 28, 2017 at 4:28:28 pm
Last Edited By Dave LaRonde on Jun 28, 2017 at 4:29:28 pm

Here's a question -- how many weeks are you willing to devote to fixing this chroma key shot? Because that is how long it will take to salvage it. There will be frame-by-frame hand work to correct the lighting errors.

Now -- balance a few weeks of work against a re-shoot, this time using proper lighting,and doing what you want in After Effects in hours instead of the weeks you now face.

It's your choice on how to proceed.

The phrase, "We'll fix it in post" is almost always the wrong way to proceed.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Fernando Silva
on Jun 28, 2017 at 4:50:04 pm

Hi Dave,
Thanks for your always wise answer. Not all of my scenes are bad lighted, and fortunately some scenes that are on the first rows seats that are ok will hide partially the rows on the back, so i'm looking for a solution that could help to minimize the blown out areas. Considering that the total running time will be of 5 seconds and with all the clones moving, the important it's not have pool of lights to not be noticeable by the viewers. Could you please give me a clue about the way I should take?
And it's true, the error "will fix it in post" it's the cavalry of the newbies.
Cheers
Fernando

Fernando Silva
Carpe Diem

Return to posts index

Mark Whitney
on Jun 28, 2017 at 7:46:40 pm

Take a look at this tutorial, right here on the COW.

https://library.creativecow.net/devis_andrew/Multi-Layer-Editing-1/1

Return to posts index

Fernando Silva
on Jun 29, 2017 at 1:51:40 am

Hi Mark,
Thanks for your tip. I'll watch it and hopefully may find clues to how to work it out.
Cheers

Fernando Silva
Carpe Diem

Return to posts index

Mark Whitney
on Jun 28, 2017 at 4:42:20 pm

While I agree with Dave for the most part, I think in your case here you might be able to simply dupe you layer and work on the screen right side separately. Plenty of vids out there on how to go about doing that certainly. Goal at this point is to just get a a clean matte, but you might have to build it up from several layers or precomps. Once you have that, then color & light timing the subjects should be relatively easy.

Return to posts index

Fernando Silva
on Jun 28, 2017 at 5:24:46 pm

Hi Mark,
Thanks for helping out. I´ve watched a lesson by Richard Harrington from Lynda.com course "repairing and enhancing video" about relighting a rotobrushed scene that is overexposed creating 2 lights, the first "ambient" dimming all the footage and a second light as "spot" adjusting in the case the light on the face of the subject, but I couldn't get it right because I have the problem of blown out areas.
I've searched the youtube for a solution and besides the exception of a raw shooting (that was not my case) I didn't find anything even considering davinci resolve. It seems that I have a big trouble on my hands.
Cheers

Fernando Silva
Carpe Diem

Return to posts index

Remus Hosu
on Jul 18, 2017 at 9:47:30 pm

If you need any directions with the rotobrush tool maybe this would help:

https://bluefx.net/using-the-roto-brush-in-after-effects

http://bluefx.net

Return to posts index

Fernando Silva
on Jul 18, 2017 at 10:19:47 pm

Hi Remus,
Thanks for your help. As a matter of fact the rotobrush was the way I choose and I get the result that you may see on this video:

Still roto work to do, but my bigger problem now is to balance the light on the guys. I was thinking in perhaps export the video to photoshop, creating an adjustment layer and with the dodge and burn tools reduce the highlights. What do you think
Cheers

Fernando Silva
Carpe Diem

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]