FORUMS: list search recent posts

"Ceiling" function with After Effects Alphas?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Anthony Sipsas
"Ceiling" function with After Effects Alphas?
on Jun 27, 2017 at 10:49:59 pm

Its been awhile since I have dove into AE Expressions and such, and wanted to reach out to ask if AE has some tool or function /expression to clamp values in the alpha?

What im trying to do is use DEFAULT particle systems that exist within a base install of AE. Unfortunately they are limited in what they can do as its not nearly as fancy as something like particular. Being so, particles are limited to "faded sphere" as far as roundish objects. (unless im missing something that allows for random custom -shape based particles) The problem is i dont see a way to control the feather on these.

What I would like to do is to "clamp" the alpha values up to 100%. Since everything is from 0 to 1, i figure there has to be some sort of function that takes the MOD, and just ups it to 1 for everything, effectively making anything that is not a "0" on the alpha, a "1" if you will.

This could probably serve a dual purpose and expose "dirty alphas" for any compositors out there! 😉

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance!

Anthony Sipsas
Motionographer
Los Angeles, CA

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
Re: "Ceiling" function with After Effects Alphas?
on Jun 28, 2017 at 12:23:22 am

You could use an effect like Levels or Curves -- just change the Channel from the default (RGB) to Alpha.

Walter Soyka
Designer & Mad Scientist at Keen Live [link]
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
@keenlive [twitter]   |   RenderBreak [blog]   |   Profile [LinkedIn]

Return to posts index

Anthony Sipsas
Re: "Ceiling" function with After Effects Alphas?
on Jun 28, 2017 at 3:23:28 am

Never thought of that, ill give it a try thanks!

Anthony Sipsas
Motionographer
Los Angeles, CA

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]