FORUMS: list search recent posts

Gradually show shape like trim paths

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Daan Lenaerts
Gradually show shape like trim paths
on Jun 27, 2017 at 12:39:10 pm

Hi, I'm not very used to After Effects, so this might be a simple question. But I don't know how to achieve the particular effect I'm going for.

I am aware of the fact that 'trim paths' can be used to make a line gradually appear. I'm looking to do the same with a shape but don't really succeed in getting the proper animation.
The shape's fill goes outside of the original vector path drawing, and that's not how it's supposed to be. The shape should be shown over time starting from the upper left point.

I have uploaded a short video to Youtube showing what I currently have:

Is anyone here able to get me started on this?

Kind regards

Return to posts index

Michael Szalapski
Re: Gradually show shape like trim paths
on Jun 27, 2017 at 3:03:20 pm

There are a number of solutions to this.
You could follow the regular solutions to the write-on effect. That is, to make another layer be a track matte for that layer. How you make it is up to you, but you could use a path with a stroke for example. The only tricky parts of this is making sure the width of the stroke fits properly in parts where it overlaps.

You could animate the shape itself. That is, make a keyframe for the path shape where it is fully there, go back in time and shrink the shape so that it's down to nothing. Now, with a shape that loops like yours, you'd really need to think in steps and move backward to the first step, then the next, then the next instead of going straight to there being no shape.

An alternate method is a third-party script like Curva which animates the path for you: https://videohive.net/item/curva-script-premium-after-effects-script/869446...

- The Great Szalam
(The 'Great' stands for 'Not So Great, in fact, Extremely Humble')

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

Daan Lenaerts
on Jun 27, 2017 at 6:52:50 pm

Thank you very much for your extensive explanation!

Kind regards

Return to posts index

Michael Szalapski
on Jun 27, 2017 at 7:07:17 pm

You're welcome. :)

- The Great Szalam
(The 'Great' stands for 'Not So Great, in fact, Extremely Humble')

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]