FORUMS: list search recent posts

removing DP from Mirror

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Kevin Peters
removing DP from Mirror
on Jun 24, 2017 at 11:33:05 pm

Hi, I have a scene i'm shooting with my camera on a dolly/slider moving from left to right moving behind someone looking at themselves in the mirror. The camera will pan down to an object on the dressing table

I will need to be able to remove myself from the mirror as well as the camera and possibly a bit of the rails

I have watched Film Riot do this successfully in Ghost House but i'm clueless how this is done

There's not much I can use to copy and past to cover the parts in the mirror that myself and the camera are visible in which make it hard to paint in

any help or ideas would be greatly appreciated

Kevin

Return to posts index

Michael Szalapski
Re: removing DP from Mirror
on Jun 27, 2017 at 2:46:39 pm

Is this a set you've built or is it in an actual building? This would be a LOT easier if you're going to build it. My plan would be to build the back wall behind you with, ideally, a matching camera move in reverse. If not, you can try to rebuild it with a bunch of photos and kind of track it in to match and then rotoscope out the talent.

An even better alternate would be to angle the mirror so that you can still see the talent looking at themselves, but what's behind them in the mirror is above, below, or to the side of where the camera goes.

- The Great Szalam
(The 'Great' stands for 'Not So Great, in fact, Extremely Humble')

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

Kevin Peters
Re: removing DP from Mirror
on Jun 27, 2017 at 4:02:24 pm

Hi, Thank you for your reply. This will be filmed in my house. I have two rooms to use at my disposal. My living room which is large enough to possibly pull of Option 1 but I'm thinking replicating the camera move will be hard in reverse.

I could set up a fake mirror, keep the frame and take away the mirror and have my two actors act as if the mirror is there but i'm not sure how good this would look.

This is what I have so far, please excuse the soft focus and unsteady camera movements as i'm still practicing this.
I'm using a Canon 70d and trying to slide the dolly, pan and tilt whilst trying to manually focus and not be seen in the mirror.
It looks okay but would be a smoother move if I were not worried about being seen in the mirror and could just paint me out

https://www.dropbox.com/s/0suvjuogsksjcgp/super%20ruff.mp4?dl=0

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]