FORUMS: list search recent posts

How many hours did your last completed project take?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Saxon Rix
How many hours did your last completed project take?
on Jun 24, 2017 at 1:22:37 pm

When starting out with motion graphics many people wonder how long creating motion graphics should take. Obviously this is a difficult question to answer as there are so many variables. Even though I've dabbled in motion graphics for a good few years (I'm predominantly a video editor), I still find myself wondering if I'm 'slow' at creating motion graphics or just average.

Because of that, I've decided to do a little community research to try and find a ROUGH average productivity speed. I recently asked this on a Reddit group and the feedback was interesting to read, is I figured I'd ask around other places too to try and get more data.

While this research will not be wholly accurate (afterall there are a tonne of variables at play here), I believe it will be useful for the following reasons:

- Beginners and advanced artists alike will be able to roughly guage how productive they are, and perhaps improve upon that should they feel they need to.

- Helps to give more realistic expectations for yourself and your potential clients.

In order to get this information I figured it was best to gather hrs for two separate examples, a recent one you actually made and an hypothetical project.

1. YOUR LATEST COMPLETED PROJECT

Please link to a video of the project or supply a short description of the project:

How many man hours to complete the project? Please answer as fully as you can, if there was more than one of you working on the project, add all the hours together.

Pre-production hrs:
Production hrs (to first edit):
Revision hrs:

2. HYPOTHETICAL PROJECT

Assuming you have a fully developed script and all the assets required, how long do you think it would take you to create this video: https://vimeo.com/144009328

NOTE: This is NOT intended to create competition within the community regarding who's faster than who. Really the only competition should be with yourself and how you can speed up your OWN workflow.

Return to posts index

Richard Garabedain
Re: How many hours did your last completed project take?
on Jun 26, 2017 at 2:48:14 pm

I make car commercials..and the ones heavy on motion graphics usually take 8 hours for a 30 second spot. aa little longer if 3d is involved. And i cant share a link..sorry.

#2...It would take me probably 1-2 weeks to create that animation...leaning more towards 2 weeks.

Return to posts index

Michael Szalapski
Re: How many hours did your last completed project take?
on Jun 27, 2017 at 2:32:45 pm

The amount of person hours and render time to answer your first question varies so wildly from project to project that there isn't really a rough estimate that would be remotely useful. Some projects take weeks to build and others are done in an hour or two.

- The Great Szalam
(The 'Great' stands for 'Not So Great, in fact, Extremely Humble')

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]