FORUMS: list search recent posts

Wave Animations on Static Image.

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
James Rain
Wave Animations on Static Image.
on Jun 21, 2017 at 5:33:20 pm

Hey guys,

This is my first post and so thank you for having this platform and hopefully for your help! I look forward to visiting often to learn new techniques!

I'm a new AE user but I'm starting to get the hang of the software. However, I am having some issues right now with attempting to animate an image.
The image is in png and not a flat rectangle like a flag. It's letters to be precise, that was created in photoshop. I'm looking to do 1 of 2 types of animations on this:

I'll provide as much info as I can as to what I've done so far along with what I want to do.

1. A wave animation as if it was floating ontop of the surface of water. (I presume this would be the more difficult animation style. I do know to use the noise and grain tool to do this and I've already created the background with animated water. The problem is that when I attempt to do the same thing to my letters, the noise and grain effects my image and seems to distort it as well. The letters have artwork within them that's getting washed out by the noise and grain, even though the noise and grain are on a Solid and not on the actual letters. I don't know if it's actually effecting the letters, or if it's a visual bug in the preview.)

Or.

2. Using the radio waves effects to give it the similar wave effect, just more as a ripple effect. (In this one, I know to use the radio waves but what I don't know is how to have them effect the actual image and not just appear ontop of the image itself.

I've looked and googled around for tutorials and not really found good answers. There's plenty of tutorials about how to make radio waves, but I'm having difficulty finding a tutorial that actually uses them to animate an image.

Thank you!

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: Wave Animations on Static Image.
on Jun 21, 2017 at 10:45:19 pm

For both, you should look at the Displacement Map effect. The effect uses a layer of varying video levels, and from the levels it determines how to distort the image vertically & horizontally.

I would be shocked if there were not a tutorial somewhere on its use.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Kevin Camp
Re: Wave Animations on Static Image.
on Jun 21, 2017 at 11:21:09 pm

you might also look at the turbulent displace effect. apply it and animate the evolutions to get started then tweak the other settings to see if it will give you the effect that you are looking for.

Kevin Camp
Art Director
KCPQ, KZJO & KRCW

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]