FORUMS: list search recent posts

jpeg-animation doesn't play smoothly

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Christoph Oertli
jpeg-animation doesn't play smoothly
on Jun 21, 2017 at 10:24:56 am

Hi
I have to do an animation of the inside of an elevator travelling between floors. My AE composition consists of different jpgs (elevator doors and -walls) animated with position keyframes.
Composition settings: size: 2160 x 2560px / frame rate: 50
Render setting: H264 / bitrate 10-12MBit
The mp4 file doesn't play back smoothly in any video player (QT, vlc) nor in a timeline of Adobe Premiere. The problem is random though: once, it plays fine, and then it stutters next time. The jerky movement is not constant; like every 2 seconds there is a 'hick' within the otherwise smooth movement.
I experimented a lot now with changing the bitrate and the keyframe interval, it doesn't help. What I don't understand is that a composition of exactly the same frame size with 4k video footage is playing just fine.

Any help is much appreciated!
Christoph

Return to posts index

Richard Garabedain
Re: jpeg-animation doesn't play smoothly
on Jun 21, 2017 at 4:16:44 pm

well why is your frame rate 50? its probably that...try 29.97 or 59.94 fps...That is also probably why it plays different everytime you play it back.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Jun 21, 2017 at 6:10:56 pm

We don't know anything about your machine's hardware, its operating system nor the precise versions of the software & OS you run. So it's difficult to provide a good answer.

BUT - With an animation of such large dimensions, plus a fairly high frame rate, it could be that your hard drive can't keep up the video stream. That would be my guess.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Christoph Oertli
on Jun 21, 2017 at 8:22:27 pm

Thanks a lot Dave
I'm on a Mac OS 10.12.1, 2.5 GHz Intel Core i7, Adobe AE CC 2017.
Reason for 50 fps is me being European. I tried first 25 fps, but with 50 it looks already much better. What you say about large dimensions: why would video footage (vertical 4K, cut left and right) play well and an animation of the same size / same codec / same format / same bitrate not? The files are only between 15 and 35MB renderd as mp4.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Jun 21, 2017 at 10:39:43 pm

When you make your delivery to the client, how will it be played back? What is the playback device, what is the display device, and what sort of delivery specifications were you given?

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

Christoph Oertli
on Jun 22, 2017 at 7:14:57 am

(sorry, time difference...my answer is late) By testing with the video files (with video footage) we agreed on mp4 / 10 - 12 MBit Bitrate. Those play fine at the museum (which is the client). After the delivery of the animation files in question they noticed the jerky movement, that I can see as well on my computer when I play back the files. That's why I have to find a solution first here on my Mac.
I am wondering if the animation could cause a problem, because the movement of the jpegs contains a lot of changing image information (comparible with an ongoing panning)? In an average video sequence only parts of the image are moving...

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Jun 22, 2017 at 3:18:07 pm

You mention panning and other horizontal movement being a problem. You may be experiencing a phenomenon known as judder. It's most noticeable at low frame rates and not 50 fps, but it's not unknown at that rate.

You may be able to eliminate it easily by enabling Motion Blur in this project.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

Christoph Oertli
on Jun 22, 2017 at 8:55:56 pm

I enabled motion blur from the beginning. That's really helpfull for the horizontal lines, since it is a vertical movement. But the problem I would discribe as 'unstable playback' remains: the animated movement of the still images is super smooth, but there are random irregularities in the play back. Almost as if there was too much informaton for the player to handle (but the file is not heavy at all, as I mentioned earlier). Sometimes the first try is awfull, second playback perfect, third playback horrible - you never know. Just impossible to use in an exhibition!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]