FORUMS: list search recent posts

Element 3d - how to control text?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
daniel persson
Element 3d - how to control text?
on Jun 20, 2017 at 4:48:58 pm

So I need some help figuring out how to seperate and control a line of text. Basically I want to have the first word fade in and the rest of the text fade after a few seconds, now each letter is very close to each other and casts a AO on the background so simply masking isn't an option. But i'm surprised I haven't found any control of the individual letters or words or any kind of opacity control in Element. Please help me figure this one out. http://i.imgur.com/iSkjbba.png

Return to posts index

Michael Szalapski
Re: Element 3d - how to control text?
on Jun 20, 2017 at 6:20:08 pm

Create a white solid. Apply a fill effect to it. Make the color black. Apply the CC Composite effect. Notice that you can keyframe the opacity in the CC Composite effect from 0% to 100%. This gives you an option to keyframe something from black to white without having multiple layers. Very handy.

Why would you want this?

Well, you can use that layer as a custom map for the alpha channel of a material in Element. So, make the letters you want to disappear use this custom layer for its alpha in the material.

You will see why Element doesn't have an opacity control built in.

Since simple opacity changes do not work for 3d models, a better option would be to use two instances of Element. One with the letters showing and one without. Then fade the opacity up of the one with the extra letters.
If this produces an aliasing issue with the text that's now on screen twice (once in each layer). You could just duplicate your main composition and in one of them use the Element version without some layers and then just crossfade between those two comps in another comp.

- The Great Szalam
(The 'Great' stands for 'Not So Great, in fact, Extremely Humble')

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

Daniel Waldron
on Jun 20, 2017 at 6:42:26 pm

Can't you use the Force Opacity parameter in the Particle Look twirl down? Set your first word to Group 1 and the rest to Group 2 so you can fade them on separately.

Return to posts index

daniel persson
on Jun 20, 2017 at 7:12:00 pm

I don't see how as I can't control the text layer or choose which part should be group 1, 2 etc. If I start using several element layers they start to fuck up the position, depth and lighting.

Return to posts index

Daniel Waldron
on Jun 20, 2017 at 9:24:16 pm

You only need one Element layer. You need two text layers; one for the first word, and one with the rest of the text. Put each text layer in it's own group.

Return to posts index

daniel persson
on Jun 20, 2017 at 7:12:24 pm

I don't see how as I can't control the text layer or choose which part should be group 1, 2 etc. If I start using several element layers they start to mess up the position, depth and lighting.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]