FORUMS: list search recent posts

Re-assigning Illustrator layers

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Lee Montgomery
Re-assigning Illustrator layers
on Jun 20, 2017 at 4:05:24 pm

Hi,

I have a pre-composed animated character made from a layered Illustrator file. I want to make multiple instances of the animation by altering the colours back in Illustrator, but I'm having to re-name and save pre-comps and copies of the the original file. It's a mess, and I'm going to accidentally collapse it all if I'm not careful.

There must be an easier way of doing this?

Thanks for looking!

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: Re-assigning Illustrator layers
on Jun 20, 2017 at 6:32:18 pm

Once you import a multi-layered Ilustrator document, AE will not update with changes if you add more layers after you import. So be very careful that you have everything done properly in Illustrator you need before you import.

And you're right -- multiple instances of a character animation can indeed get very messy!
Each character will need its own comp PLUS its own unique set of nested comps. So organizing everything in the AE Project window will be a high priority for you.

People do this kind of stuff all the time, but they also take the time to cross their t's and dot their i's before work begins. In the long run, it's worth it!

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Jun 20, 2017 at 7:23:22 pm

Oops! I see that you already started animating and now you want to add new layers in illustrator. This gets tricky.

I would put all the new layers into a separate Illustrator document -- use the same artboard dimensions as you did before. Don't change them!

Then you may want to invest in a script called something like "smart comp duplicator" -- it will drill down through all the nested comps and whatnot to create a totally-new master comp, complete will all-unique nested comps.

Once you have all the necessary comps & nested comps, you can use AE's Replace footage command to swap out a green character for a red character or whatever.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Lee Montgomery
on Jun 20, 2017 at 8:29:59 pm

Hi Dave,

I feared this might be the case, but a script to help some of the donkey-work sounds a good idea. At least I've not missed an obvious feature built into AE that simplifies the process.

Many thanks for taking the time to reply. Much appreciated.

Lee

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]