FORUMS: list search recent posts

Mocha Pro: masking a moving head over an iPad screen

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Glenn Chung
Mocha Pro: masking a moving head over an iPad screen
on Jun 19, 2017 at 8:30:59 pm

I have a 10 second clip where I have to mask off the top part of a head that is rotating in perspective as well as bobbing around over an iPad screen. I've tried tracking the face in one go to try to move the mask for me, but the change in perspective is 90 degrees so I can't get a good track in one go.

Am I looking at partitioning this long shot into shorter shots where the face remains in plane, then manually keyframing during the head rotation through 90 degrees? Or is it even worth tracking anything to make this mask and I should just resign myself to keyframing every frame?

The biggest issue is that the mask "bobs" up and down along the top of the head - even with a couple dozen keyframes, which of course looks terrible.

Here is a sample video with the mask applied as shape data from Mocha Pro to an AE layer (been trying to use embed and video tags to no avail, sorry):

Sample 1/3 Res Video

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: Mocha Pro: masking a moving head over an iPad screen
on Jun 19, 2017 at 11:22:53 pm

Are you trying to replace the screen behind the subject's head? Rotobrush looks to be a better alternative than Mocha.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Glenn Chung
on Jun 20, 2017 at 4:15:14 pm

The screen already shows my replacement track - just trying to mask off the girl's head in front of it.

Return to posts index

Martin Brennand
on Jun 20, 2017 at 12:57:36 am

You're best doing this as two separate masks, since her head turns 90 degrees. Track the face, then the side of the head, and modify the splines accordingly. A 'bob' should only occur if the track is not solid.

If you're still having some difficulty and want to send the original clip directly to us, we can recommend the best practice by going over the clip: support[at]imagineersystems.com

Martin Brennand | Product Manager | mocha - Imagineer Systems

Return to posts index

Glenn Chung
on Jun 20, 2017 at 4:15:58 pm

I was actually thinking I needed to split this into several tracks, so I'll give this a try. Thanks!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]