FORUMS: list search recent posts

Sorry for the noob question... I can't change timings on the typewriter preset animation...

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Christopher Morrison
Sorry for the noob question... I can't change timings on the typewriter preset animation...
on Jun 19, 2017 at 12:19:03 pm

This is driving me freakin' NUTS.
I put in a text field, type in my text, apply the typewriter preset and then...
... it proceeds to NOT finish typing my text into the allotted time frame of the workspace.

How do I change the timing of the typewriter preset? It is NOT a keyframe issue if I adjust the end keyframe in it simply cuts off more of the text.

Please help, again, apologies for the noobness of the question, I'm brand new to this program.

Thanks in advance.

Return to posts index

Daniel Waldron
Re: Sorry for the noob question... I can't change timings on the typewriter preset animation...
on Jun 19, 2017 at 1:36:01 pm

It sounds like one of the Range Selector parameters got changed inadvertently. Twirl open your text layers text properties until you see Animator 1>Range Selector. The Start parameter should be keyframed, starting at 0 and ending at 100. Make sure End is at 100 and Offset is at 0.

Return to posts index

Christopher Morrison
Re: Sorry for the noob question... I can't change timings on the typewriter preset animation...
on Jun 19, 2017 at 3:17:49 pm

Many thanks. I discovered another way. While in the keyframes and the text selected I dragged the red-line w/the arrow-head (which I believe is a physical representation of the range selector) to cover the last letter and, voila, it worked.

Return to posts index

David Cabestany
on Jun 19, 2017 at 10:56:44 pm

Christopher, may I suggest you use an expression instead of keyframes?
It's way faster to modify.

fadeDur = 1.5;
ease(time,inPoint,inPoint+fadeDur,0,100)

fadeDur is the time you want the effect to animate, the default with keyframes is two seconds, on the expression is a second and a half.

The last value (100) is how much you want the range selector offset to go in your text object, i.e. if you only want half of the sentence, set it to 50, etc.

Best,
D.

Return to posts index

Christopher Morrison
on Jun 20, 2017 at 8:54:55 am

Ah. Many thanks, but remember, noob here... some further clarification if you don't mind...

1. Do I add this to the typewriter effect preset? Or do this INSTEAD of the preset?
2. Which of the elements to I attach the expression to? In other words, which stopwatch do I open to write the expression?
3. Are these two separate expressions or one?
Meaning is this all typed on the same line?
"fadeDur = 1.5; ease(time,inPoint,inPoint+fadeDur,0,100)"
Or separate like: "fadeDur = 1.5";
"ease(time,inPoint,inPoint+fadeDur,0,100)"

Thanks for your patience and help!

Return to posts index

David Cabestany
on Jun 20, 2017 at 3:55:21 pm

Not at all. Happy to help.

The answers to your questions:

1. You add it to the typewriter effect.
2. The offset parameter.
3. It's one expression, the first line is a variable, which you can modify. The second line is the actual expression, which you can actually use for any parameter that animates that way, it's an incredibly versatile expression, which is worth mentioning I didn't write myself.

Hope this helps.
D.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]