FORUMS: list search recent posts

After Effects 3D Pivot / Anchor Point

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Tobi Laaaaaa
After Effects 3D Pivot / Anchor Point
on Jun 15, 2017 at 9:36:21 am

Moin everybody ☺

I am working on an project where some graphic elements are "unfolding" similar to some AE unfolding tutorials on Youtube. (e.g.

)

I am not using perfectly shaped triangles. My shapes do look more like polygons and are orientated in different directions meaning they are turning from different axises.

Here is a short example video I did:
https://edelmanftp.box.com/s/2e6a3gvdwu8uiyij4eruhourw3g1jrh6

To achieve this animation I build my lower thirds (the whole shape), sliced it in three different shapes, rotate everything so it can roll over one axis. Then I reassemble everything in a new composition. For all previous steps I worked in pre compositions. As you might figured out already,the whole animation process is getting somehow confusing and is not very precise.

Does anyone know a way to do this more efficiently or is it possible to just change the orientation of the pivot / anchor point like you can do in 3D programs (e.g. Cinema 4D). Any tricks are more than appreciated...

Thank you very much and have a nice week.
Tobi

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
Re: After Effects 3D Pivot / Anchor Point
on Jun 15, 2017 at 7:02:30 pm

[Tobi Laaaaaa] "Does anyone know a way to do this more efficiently or is it possible to just change the orientation of the pivot / anchor point like you can do in 3D programs (e.g. Cinema 4D). Any tricks are more than appreciated..."

I think the easiest way is to create a 3D null object, position it at the seam, rotate it to match, and then use the pickwhip to make the null the parent of your layer.

Walter Soyka
Designer & Mad Scientist at Keen Live [link]
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
@keenlive [twitter]   |   RenderBreak [blog]   |   Profile [LinkedIn]

Return to posts index

Richard Garabedain
Re: After Effects 3D Pivot / Anchor Point
on Jun 15, 2017 at 7:57:08 pm

Reposition anchor point tool can be used to change anchor points of 3d objects as well as 2d and would be very useful for this project.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]