FORUMS: list search recent posts

MXF Codec Question and Workflow Recommendation

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Paul Winterton
MXF Codec Question and Workflow Recommendation
on Jun 14, 2017 at 10:05:04 pm

A client has asked me to import a specific file format, XF-AVC intra 10 bit 4:2:2 @3840x2160, add VFX, and return the same format back to them.

I use After Effects (2017) PC and AME (2017) PC and I can't find the specific codec to do as requested.

I'd like to know what a more experienced person would do, as I believe that the desired codec is not yet available for AAE or AME for PC.

Ultimately the client is worried about altered color space if I deliver a different format and/or bit rate. Is there a method to follow to alleviate the problem.
What would you do?

Thank you for reading and replying.

Return to posts index

Tero Ahlfors
Re: MXF Codec Question and Workflow Recommendation
on Jun 15, 2017 at 4:10:01 am

As far as I know that specific format/codec is for in-camera recording only. You can read it but you can't export in the same format.

Return to posts index

Paul Winterton
Re: MXF Codec Question and Workflow Recommendation
on Jun 15, 2017 at 4:59:33 pm

Thank you for the insight.

The background is: the client is a Mac-based production facility and previously they have sent me ProRes 422 files, but because my suite is PC-based I can't return ProRes files. AFAIK the ProRes export codec is (still) not available for PC. I can read, but I can't write ProRes files.

I either encode MOV with the Animation codec, or use MP4 with a very high bitrate to deliver files back to the client. There is a color shift in both formats.

The client is trying to find a way that they can deliver a format that won't be degraded or changed and so that they could do (final) color grading consistently throughout their show. Hence, they were asking if I could accept and return the MXF camera format.

I'm open to any suggestions that would solve this issue.

Thanks again for reading and replying.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2020 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]