FORUMS: list search recent posts

Specified number of anchor points on shape... (for morphing in AE)

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Christof van Niekerk
Specified number of anchor points on shape... (for morphing in AE)
on Jun 12, 2017 at 9:54:53 am

Problem:
I have a series of contour shapes (think of map contours - 80 of them!) , that I want to animate/morph between in AE.
Problem is... these don't exist as vectors & are traced in Illustrator which yields a range of different anchor point numbers & positions for each shape. So after tracing I bring the vector shapes into AE... i make sure to select a consistent corner for all shapes & go "layer>shapes&masks>set first vertex".... which at least keeps the path direction & start consistent for the morph.

Is there a way to specify more consistent placing ( & number of) anchor points when these shapes are traced... in order to get a more accurate morph/tween in AE?

Thanks for any suggestions/advice up front,
Christof

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: Specified number of anchor points on shape... (for morphing in AE)
on Jun 12, 2017 at 1:53:36 pm

Um, I think you may be overthinking this. Why not just animate a mask on a solid? Why fool around with morphing if you don't have to?

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Christof van Niekerk
on Jun 13, 2017 at 8:50:07 am

Hi Dave... thanks for the reply.
Perhaps I wasn't clear in my explanation.... the actual brief from client, is to have smooth transitions from contour to contour.... in saying "morph", I meant animate between these shapes/masks. (these are geographic samples of taken over a number of years of a mountain/dam for example) ... and the clients wants to see the they do not exist as vectors.

So I've traced these contours in illustrator....paste them as masks in AE... and the animation is happening - but the anchor points are obviously all over the place. (even after setting first vertex on all of them)

I imagine that with a specified number of points on each path/contour.... AE would animate between them all more predictably. (hence my attempts to resample these vectors somehow with a specified number of points, and a corresponding starting vertex).... but any other approach/suggestions are welcome

Thanks a mil for your help

Return to posts index

Roei Tzoref
on Jun 12, 2017 at 5:32:10 pm

You can try smart mask interpolation but this only applies to mask paths ( you can copy the shape path to the mask path and copy back when you are done). Look for smart mask interpolation article by chris and trish meyer. You can also try morphing in illustrator using the blend tool, and import as a sequence - Rick Gerard has a tutorial about it in his YouTube channel RGEFFECTS

Roei Tzoref
After Effects Artist & Instructor
♫ Ae Blues Tutorials

Return to posts index

Christof van Niekerk
on Jun 13, 2017 at 8:52:46 am

Roei!! ... these sound promising! - quickly going to look into it. Many thanks for the help.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]