FORUMS: list search recent posts

AE vs. CSS with new monitor

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jerry Smith
AE vs. CSS with new monitor
on Jun 9, 2017 at 11:30:08 am

I'm going back to square one to make sure my colors are stable across as many interwebs systems as possible. I even bought a new monitor for my collection. Long story short: I want to live in the heart of sRGB.

But, I already hit a snag. I open AE, working space sRGB IEC61966-2.1, I put down D70000 red. Looks like it should. I open my latest version Mac Digital Color Meter. I take a look. It says D70000. Sweet. Just for kicks, I turn the working space to None. I use the meter again. D70000. Awesome. I export a .mov and check the color: D70000. This is great! Remember Tony the Tiger?

By the way, I'm using the (Sierra) Mac sRGB IEC61966-2.1 for my profile. I haven't calibrated or profiled my new monitor yet because I just want to see how things work out of the box.

SNAG TIME: Ut oh: I create a web page with a style sheet with background color D70000. But the Digital Color Meter says: FF0000!!! This happens on both Safari and Firefox

Why?

The old answer would have been something like this: The browser is doing gamma correction. But that's the old answer because Apple has switched to 2.2 gamma now.

Does anybody know the new answer? What explains the discrepancy? On the one side we seem to have Adobe and OSX, on the other we seem to have Safari and Firefox.

Thanks!

Return to posts index

Jerry Smith
Re: AE vs. CSS with new monitor
on Jun 9, 2017 at 11:52:24 am

Here are some more data:

1) The actual monitor that I use seems to have nothing to do with any of this. I switched out the monitors and the meter gave the same result.

2) STRANGELY, on my old iMac, everything read D70000!!!

So, something strange is happening on my macmini with webpages.

Return to posts index

Jerry Smith
Re: AE vs. CSS with new monitor
on Jun 9, 2017 at 1:15:22 pm

Oops.

Problem solved. I had some stray CSS causing problems.

Mods: feel free to delete this thread lest I use up any members' good will. I'll probably need it in the future!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]