FORUMS: list search recent posts

Which combination of tools would be best to animate from this to this....?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Tom Yorkard
Which combination of tools would be best to animate from this to this....?
on Jun 3, 2017 at 10:23:45 am

I would love some help.

After Effects CC 2017

Which tool (or combination of) would be best to animate from Frame A to frame B in the attached image (Seed to Tree)?

The shapes in the frames are just examples, but the animation I want to create will also be 2D, of solid colour, drawn as vectors in Illustrator.

I would like to be able to control key stages of the animation so I can make it look like the tree is growing in a realistic manner. I'm aware this will take a lot of man hours to get right, but my issue is that I don't know enough about after effects to know which tools would be best.

My ultimate plan is to use a camera controlled by a null object to pan up from seed to full tree while zooming out as the tree grows - but only because that seems to be the best option to allow me to fine tune the framing after nailing the growing animation. Also because the tree is in fact one component of a much larger scene i will be revealing around the tree, all of which will be separately animated. Open to alternative suggestions of how to go about this.

Thanks in advance,

Return to posts index

Richard Garabedain
Re: Which combination of tools would be best to animate from this to this....?
on Jun 5, 2017 at 4:07:50 pm

you can animate a mask..over a few stages.or you could animate some strokes or even do it old fashioned and create several stages of your growth and make it animatie like a regular old cartoon

Return to posts index

Tom Yorkard
on Jun 6, 2017 at 10:35:48 am

Thanks tom, good tip about the strokes!

Return to posts index

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
on Jun 6, 2017 at 11:16:48 am

I did a similar project a few years back. I animated elements "growing" by using masks as well as setting the anchor point at the base of the elements (branch or leaf) and then animating the size. I also used a Mesh Warp animation on top of separate elements to give it a more organic look. At the end I combined all elements together, offset the timing of the animations to make it grow sequentially. Because I had the goal to create a somewhat realistic looking tree I re-used elements to make the structure more complex.

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
Senior VFX Artist

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]