FORUMS: list search recent posts

Flags tying into a knot in AE?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
D j Harris
Flags tying into a knot in AE?
on Jun 1, 2017 at 1:05:30 pm

Hi, hope someone can help.

I have a client asking for a short anim featuring 2 waving flags (no problem, I thought), but they then want the flags to swoop around and tie into a knot, and then (somehow) become 2 hands shaking.

I can't think of a way of doing this, so first off, does anyone know if this is even possible in after effects (knotting 2 materials together) - sounds like it would require a 3d program to me. Maybe Puppet Warp or a plugin though...?

Even if the answer is 'no, you can't do that in AE', I'd appreciate any opinions! Quite urgently too as I have to let people know if its possible...Many thanks.

Dan

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: Flags tying into a knot in AE?
on Jun 1, 2017 at 4:33:48 pm

You can't do it in AE. You COULD do it in a 3D application if you're really good using one.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

D j Harris
on Jun 1, 2017 at 4:56:18 pm

Hi, thanks Dave.

I suspected as much, but thought maybe there was some way of doing it that I was unaware of. I was going to try and learn blender, but so far I have made - a static coffee mug, so I don't think my skills will be up to this...

Cheers

Return to posts index

Cassius Marques
on Jun 1, 2017 at 4:57:45 pm

how real do you need it to be? because you'll have a hard time doing it EVEN if you're very familiar with cloth dynamics.

Cassius Marques
http://www.zapfilmes.com

Return to posts index

D j Harris
on Jun 1, 2017 at 5:04:17 pm

Hi Cassius,

Yeah, fairly real in terms of the material of the flags and the knot tying. I didn't really know that After Effects had much in the way of cloth dynamics beyond wave warp, page fold and the like - are you referring to AE or do you mean in a 3d program?

I was thinking of trying a more graphical style but I don't think that's what the client wants. I have some associates who would be able to do it though, so all is not lost.

Return to posts index

Cassius Marques
on Jun 1, 2017 at 6:27:29 pm

I was referring to any 3d aplication. Deformations are ok within AE, but you won't be able to warp the loops and the shadows/highlights properly.

Cassius Marques
http://www.zapfilmes.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]