FORUMS: list search recent posts

Spline extrusion in Element 3D?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Denzil Egan
Spline extrusion in Element 3D?
on May 31, 2017 at 8:18:59 pm

So, I believe this is probably out of the realm of possibility for Element 3D (and am therefore about ready to give up), but I figured I might as well post this for the sake of conversation and perhaps helping someone else out down the road.

I am simply trying to animate several animated lines (keyframed spline extrusions) that are tracked to a 3D rotating globe/earth (see: http://i.imgur.com/vOa8oi7.png). The lines need to converge on one point (Dallas, TX), so, obviously to maintain the path, both the starting and ending points need to be fixed. I know several ways to do this in C4D, but, after a few days of searching, watching tutorials, etc., it seems that this may be impossible to do within Element 3D. The most promising method was generating a 3D null and tracking the animating lines to that, but I could not get that to work so well either, as I couldn't find a way to lock the starting point to one 3d null and the end point to another (perhaps some AE expressionist could help me here).

Not sure what difference it makes here, but just before anyone asks... I am working on a late 2013 trashcan, updated to Sierra, 64GB of RAM, 3 GHz 8-Core Intel Xeon E5, Adobe CC 2017, Element 3D 2.2.0

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: Spline extrusion in Element 3D?
on May 31, 2017 at 11:22:11 pm

If you're not tied into the 3D land masses and the diagonal lines on the globe in the screen shot, you can do this in 2D using CC Sphere.

Get a big spherical map of the earth -- those things where the poles are HUGE, in a 2:1 aspect ratio. I'd go with white for land, black for oceans. Precomp it. In the precomp, you can use Stroke or Write-on for the lines and animate them. In the Main comp, apply CC Sphere to the nested comp, tweak the rotation and voila.

It can get a bit tricky animating that line from Dallas to... uh, Edmonton, I guess, because it will shrink in size as it goes north.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]