FORUMS: list search recent posts

Having issues with a downloaded project.

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Chris Walter
Having issues with a downloaded project.
on May 31, 2017 at 9:35:38 am
Last Edited By Chris Walter on May 31, 2017 at 12:12:09 pm

Hi all,

I am making some promotional videos for some products at work. In the interest of saving time (as I am a total novice with AE) I have found a nice Parallax style project (which I have purchased), to make life easier. The beauty of the project is that I just need to update the wording and replace placeholders with my chosen images.

My issue has come right at the start of the process. In a nutshell, to ensure that the text is always visible, regardless of the 'background' image, I want to add a semi transparent black square / rectangle behind the text. I have tried to do this by adding it to the text animation and text comps but if I select black for my shape fill colour, it simply does not display - other colours do however display but they are getting transparency from somewhere. Ideally I would also like some control over the opaque-ness of the square/rectangle as it seems to be being controlled via some background expressions.

You can download the project here: https://ufile.io/l7es2

Would anyone be able to help me out with this please?
Many Thanks - Chris

EDIT: I have managed to get a black background behind some text but only on the text which appears on the left or the even numbered text animations - I can't manage to get them on the right hand side... I just dont get it!

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: Having issues with a downloaded project.
on May 31, 2017 at 4:23:47 pm

I can't open the project file at the moment, but may we assume that you've scrutinized and understand the instructions in the Readme file?

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Chris Walter
on May 31, 2017 at 6:54:36 pm

Dave - You can assume if I am asking a question on here I have exhausted other avenues. Also - I did say I was an amateur.

Thanks for your help...

Return to posts index

Kevin Camp
on May 31, 2017 at 6:32:04 pm

some of the pre-comps with the text have the blending mode set to 'add', which will make white opaque and black transparent, and any shades in-between will be translucent.

to track down those layers, from the main comp, double-click a scene comp. then double-click a parallax comp. find the 'text animation' comp in the that parallax comp and make sure the blending mode is set to normal. now if you have any dark layer behind the text in any of the TextAnimaition or text comps, you should see it in the later comps (like the Main comp).

or, you could add the dark layer behind the textAnimation comp in each of the parallax comps, and leave the blending modes alone.

Kevin Camp
Art Director
KCPQ, KZJO & KRCW

Return to posts index

Chris Walter
on May 31, 2017 at 6:53:31 pm

That's it - that was the issue!

Thanks pal!

Return to posts index

Chris Walter
on May 31, 2017 at 6:57:45 pm

Also - just as an aside Kevin, why would some be set to add and others to normal... totally threw me..?

Return to posts index

Kevin Camp
on May 31, 2017 at 8:11:14 pm

my best guess is that it was a mistake.. they may have been looking at it with the blending mode and without, and at some point decided to go one way, but then changed their minds and some of them didn't get changed.

Kevin Camp
Art Director
KCPQ, KZJO & KRCW

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]