FORUMS: list search recent posts

AE Rendering - the easier the comp, the slower it goes

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
S. Paolo Santato
AE Rendering - the easier the comp, the slower it goes
on May 29, 2017 at 3:29:52 pm

Let's start by saying that I'm an editor (FCP, MC, PR) who is getting serious on compositing with AE too.
I know it well enough to say mine isn't a question. More a moan.
I'm currently working on a 30min. event and I'm rendering a simulation of how it is going to look like in low-res.
Once I've got to the final comp of 32 min with a few basic effects and some plain titles, AE (cc14) cheerfully says it estimates more than 4h of rendering.
No way! So I go for the excellent BG Rendering and, I guess, in little more than 1 hour it was done.
Problem is, I now find myself with a bunch of .psd, a music track and the need to make a movie.
AE again says it needs over 50 min... Sigh! Yo pal, you've got 16 core, plenty of RAM, nice GPU, fast raids (yes, plural).
Together we have done stuff that made roar all the fans, and this is it?!? Not even close to Real TIme? Can't you just read the d... file???
Nope! It just barely use 1 core and that's it. It's progressing easily, but now it's been a while it keeps saying 50min.
And I came to regret the times on any decent NLE that would spit out the movie in a matter of seconds (sort of)!!!
Wait! I've got an idea in RT. Let's feed it to Premiere and see what happens....
Cool!! Premiere uses 2 and half cores. Sound silly, but it means less than half the time. Everyday you learn (or remember) something!
Still, IMHO I think it's a serious flaw in AE to not recognize a comp for what it is and instead proceed 1 frame at the time.
Whatever, hope somebody had a good laugh!
See you next time,

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: AE Rendering - the easier the comp, the slower it goes
on May 29, 2017 at 7:05:55 pm
Last Edited By Dave LaRonde on May 29, 2017 at 7:10:36 pm

Well, you've run into the state of flux in which AE finds itself. Adobe's in the midst of a MASSIVE code re-write of code, some of which hasn't been touched for 20 years or more. They should have started perhaps 10 years ago, but they didn't. Now Adobe's playing catch-up.

There is NO indication when it will be done. Things have gotten better over the past couple of years, but Adobe, to the best of my knowledge, isn't even close to being done. In the meantime, we poor users must endure the latest gymnastics we're forced to perform for the sake of the kind of speed already exhibited by other applications whose developers had the good sense to keep up with the times.

Are you enjoying experiencing the truth about Adobe, as opposed to the blue-sky image projected by the Adobe Marketing Department?

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Richard Garabedain
Re: AE Rendering - the easier the comp, the slower it goes
on May 30, 2017 at 4:43:21 pm

i did not understand your thoughts up there but for a 32 minute long comp..was that right? Im surprised after effects can handle this at all. 4 hours?,,,you got off easy with only 4 hours/

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]