FORUMS: list search recent posts

Progressive values of blur

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Héctor Moreno
Progressive values of blur
on May 27, 2017 at 3:01:32 pm

Hi all,

is it possible to have different values of blur, so that the center of the frame is not blurred, and the more you get closer to the edges, the more blur there is?

I have tried with masks and with black/white gradient luma mattes, but all I can achieve is to have a blur that is always the same size but with an increasing opacity towards the edges of the frame. What I am trying to achieve is a blur that in the midle is 0, and then its value grows until 50 in the edges of the same frame, for instance. I have also thought of radial blur, but I do not want it to "project" the blur from the center, I simply need the blur to increase progressively from the center to the edges.

Is that possible? And, if so, how can I do it in After Effects?

Thanks in advance.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: Progressive values of blur
on May 27, 2017 at 4:19:43 pm

Make a ramp on a solid. Precompose it. Apply Compound Blur to the layer you want to blur and use the precomp as the source for the blur.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Héctor Moreno
on May 27, 2017 at 5:23:36 pm

Thanks! It's just what I needed.

However, there seems to be a problem: when I apply the compound blur, the edges of the frame are blurred inwards. With the lens blur there's the option of repeating the pixels on the edges to avoid this problem. Is there a simple solution to this issue?

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on May 29, 2017 at 1:47:06 pm
Last Edited By Dave LaRonde on May 29, 2017 at 6:52:46 pm

You can try Motion Tile in a comp about twice as large as the layer, then use Compound blur that comp in the main comp. You can also build your own tile. Duplicate the layer several times and match up the edges -- top to top, left to left, bottom to bottom etc. so the tiles look like reflections of the center layer. You just have to change horizontal or vertical scales independently for the reflections.

You may also need to create a solid the same size as this tiled comp. I'm not 100% sure. I haven't personally done this. It falls into the "it ought to work" category for me.
Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]