FORUMS: list search recent posts

Applying a Mask to a Line

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Adam Rosenberg
Applying a Mask to a Line
on May 25, 2017 at 1:44:27 am

So I create a horizontal line with the pen tool. Which is essentially a shape with two points. When I create a new mask, the mask sets itself to the size of the shape, which in the y-axis is 0. Therefore when I double click on the mask try to edit it's size/shape, I can't stretch it in the y-axis because those points are on top of each other. If I create a diagonal line, this isn't a problem because the bounding box is rectangular and I can select all 4 points. It's only an issue with vertical or horizontal lines.

The workaround I've found is if I paste a mask from another layer it will retain it's original shape and I can edit it. However this is annoying, and it seems like there should be an easier way.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: Applying a Mask to a Line
on May 25, 2017 at 2:51:17 am

What are you trying to do? My guess is it isn't anything that couldn't be solved with a track matte.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Adam Rosenberg
Re: Applying a Mask to a Line
on May 25, 2017 at 3:36:30 am

Thanks David. Yes, a track matte absolutely would work. As would pasting a mask from another layer, as I mentioned. I suppose it's a small issue. It's just annoying that something as simple as applying a mask, in this one specific situation, is completely useless. And I'm wondering if anyone else finds this frustrating and has found a simple workaround.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]