FORUMS: list search recent posts

AE Future insights from you Professional Cows

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jon Merrifield
AE Future insights from you Professional Cows
on May 24, 2017 at 5:39:54 pm

Thank you for taking the time to ponder...
What do you think about the future development of AE? Is multi-core processing/rendering gone for good? Perhaps making this product function well to the lowest common denominator prevents Adobe from developing it to its performance potential? Since, and although, AE is my tool of choice for finishing and the high-end VFX work we create and I'm not "too much" of a CD4 user, and I color often in Premiere, shall I just build our new system putting the money or effort into top of the line GPUs and only focus on CPU speed and not cores? Maybe wrong forum and I always appreciate what Bob Z. has to say, yet AE seems to be the variable in software development structure versus other software tools. Any thoughts or insights from the AE Cow Pros who I respect greatly would be appreciated. Thank you.

Jon Merrifield
PELi VFX

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: AE Future insights from you Professional Cows
on May 24, 2017 at 6:55:23 pm
Last Edited By Dave LaRonde on May 24, 2017 at 8:44:34 pm

[Jon Merrifield] "What do you think about the future development of AE?"

Well, sir, that is the $64,000,000 question.

Adobe's still working on a massive code re-vamp, something they should have undertaken about 8 years ago instead of profiting from outdated code.
There is NO word on when the project will be complete.
There is NO word as to the way they'll make AE perform faster, so there's no use buying hardware now to help when they're done.

It leaves many users in limbo, yes?

There's only one thing you can count on -- in the next major release, expect to see new features, which may or may not prove to be helpful for users, when they really should be concentrating on that massive code rewrite -- which, oddly enough, benefits ALL users. But it's not something new, nifty or sparkly. It's an under-the-hood improvement that users can't see. Never mind they've been crying for such a thing for years.

Ultimately the Adobe Marketing Department issues the marching orders, I guess.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on May 25, 2017 at 10:26:58 am

Adobe is still in-progress on their Ae re-architecture efforts. I don't think that we are seeing a focus on the "lowest common denominator." Instead, I think we are seeing Ae stripped down and rebuilt before our eyes. It's a big app, so it's a big effort, and it's not at all clear what the future holds. That makes purchasing decisions difficult.

The last few releases have seen more and more effects pushed onto the GPU; that's about the best we have to go on. I personally expect to see that trend of GPU acceleration continue.

I would be surprised if the old-style multiprocessing came back, as I think that would lead to resource contention on the GPU, but that's just a theory. Even without the old MP (which was always more of a hack than a proper solution), I think there are still gains to be made on CPU utilization. A number of effects, especially the newer ones, seem to be nicely multi-threaded. Do some heavy renders with an old effect like Wave World, then do some heavy renders with a newer effect like Camera Lens Blur, and watch your multi-core CPU performance. Wave World leaves my big workstations practically idle at around 6% during render, but Camera Lens Blur maxes all CPUs out.

Puget Systems has done some really interesting research on Ae and Pr performance:
https://www.pugetsystems.com/recommended/Recommended-Systems-for-Adobe-Afte...
https://www.pugetsystems.com/recommended/Recommended-Systems-for-Adobe-Prem...

Until we see anything concrete from Adobe, I'd stick with their recommendations: 6 to 10 faster cores versus more slow ones; lots and lots of RAM; a good GPU (currently more for Pr than Ae); SSD drives.

Walter Soyka
Designer & Mad Scientist at Keen Live [link]
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
@keenlive [twitter]   |   RenderBreak [blog]   |   Profile [LinkedIn]

Return to posts index

Peter Cooper
on Jun 8, 2017 at 3:04:50 am

Noob question: would it be 6-10 with or without hyperthreading?

I'm on an i5-4460 / GTX970 and thinking of upgrading the CPU or GPU as I'm maxed out on RAM and I already have a fairly decent SSD (850 EVO).

Thanks,

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Jun 8, 2017 at 2:36:16 pm

Go with i7's for better speed.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Peter Cooper