FORUMS: list search recent posts

How get layers react to audio in X and Y going from the center of comp to a fixed position

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Andreas Ruso
How get layers react to audio in X and Y going from the center of comp to a fixed position
on May 23, 2017 at 3:04:24 pm

Hi,
I have 50 elements spread out in a circle. I want the elements to pulse/move from the center of the comp outwards like its reacting on audio.
I could hand keyframe all the elements but im sure there are better ways of doing this! Thought of sound keys from trapcode or make audio into keyframes and tie that to position of the elements. Is is possible to do that so every elements go into different directions?

Or maybe a good expression will solve this?

Any help is appreciated

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: How get layers react to audio in X and Y going from the center of comp to a fixed position
on May 23, 2017 at 5:33:18 pm

How did you go about spreading these objects into a circle? It will make a big difference in the ease with which you can do this.

Also: is it OK if all the objects move all at once and by the same amount?

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Andreas Ruso
Re: How get layers react to audio in X and Y going from the center of comp to a fixed position
on May 23, 2017 at 10:19:52 pm

Hello, thanks for your reply.

The objects was spread out manually cause of a design layout which is set. Each object is also scaled differently.

It is ok for all the objects to move all at once by the same amount. I was thinking though; it might look little more organic and dynamic with a small offset of each if that would help it to look nicer. But yeah, not required if it makes it super complicated.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on May 24, 2017 at 12:02:11 am

Well, the way you laid it out makes this more difficult. Sorry, I can't help that. Here's what you have to do, all in 2D:

• Nest the comp of your current layout in the exact center of a new comp.
  • Add a null object and parent the nested comp to it.
  • Rotate the null until the center of one object is precisely on the center of the comp's y-axis.
  • Add that identical object to the comp. It comes in at the precise center of the comp. Position it using the Y-VALUE ONLY. Scale and rotate if necessary. Adjust this layer's y-position, rotation and scale until they match.
  • Parent this object to the null.
  • Repeat the process of rotating the null, adding an object to the comp, and adjusting the object's y-position, scale and rotation until they layout is replicated. Don't forget to parent the last object to the null, too.
  • Turn off the nested comp's eyeball switch to make it invisible.
  • Add the audio file -- NO COMPRESSED AUDIO. Use either wav or aiff files.
  • Add a second null to the comp. Copy the Y-position of the last object you added to it.
  • Add the Convert Audio to Keyframes effect to the audio file. You will use the keyframe values to increase the Y-positon value of the null using an expression.
  • Parent the last object you added to the comp to the null. Preview and notice the object's motion. Adjust it to changes in the second null's expression.
  • When you are happy, copy the second null's Y-value expression to the Y-values of the rest of the objects in the comp.

It ought to work.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on May 24, 2017 at 10:49:10 am

Check out this sample project:

11387_soundreactivepositionexample.zip.zip

Walter Soyka
Designer & Mad Scientist at Keen Live [link]
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
@keenlive [twitter]   |   RenderBreak [blog]   |   Profile [LinkedIn]

Return to posts index

Andreas Ruso
on May 24, 2017 at 6:23:29 pm

Thanks Dave LaRonde and Walter, top notch! This solved my task...
Very mutch appreciated!

Return to posts index

Andreas Ruso
on May 29, 2017 at 7:09:11 am

Everything is working perfect, and i now got 50 layers that is moving with sound.

The only thing that would be even better is how i can create one variable of the scale factor to all the layers.
In other words, how can i change all of the "scaleFactor = 1;" in 50 layers with one variable of e.g an null as a placeholder?
In stead of going into 50 layers to change a number i want to do that only one place :)

Return to posts index

Andreas Ruso
on May 29, 2017 at 7:23:35 am

I solved it using a slider control.
Just hoped i could use a global variable from say a NULL which had made it easier.

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on May 29, 2017 at 8:48:04 am

[Andreas Ruso] "I solved it using a slider control. Just hoped i could use a global variable from say a NULL which had made it easier."

When I do animation systems like this, I put sliders on a null object, rename the slider effects to be meaningful, and refer to them from the expressions on all the other layers in order to use them like global variables.

Walter Soyka
Designer & Mad Scientist at Keen Live [link]
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
@keenlive [twitter]   |   RenderBreak [blog]   |   Profile [LinkedIn]

Return to posts index

Andreas Ruso
on May 29, 2017 at 10:41:48 am

Great tip. Thanks

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]