FORUMS: list search recent posts

Ideas to make oceanwater look like oil-contaminated

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Tom Clasman
Ideas to make oceanwater look like oil-contaminated
on May 17, 2017 at 8:06:57 pm
Last Edited By Tom Clasman on May 17, 2017 at 8:21:10 pm

Looking for a few starter ideas to create the impression of oil/gasoline floating in ocean water.

Tried using (creative commons) shots of water with oil/gas in it, and overlay it with my material, trying ways to get it to blend in. But it it doesn't work well for this. (yeah, I know oil and water don't mix, Duh!)

I thought perhaps some image effects or plugin might be able to change the impression of the water in selected areas. Like, darken the water and add this rainbow type shimmering surface texture, or something ...

I got a number of clean HD shots of water, ocean. Some where the water is sort of 45 degree angle from the camera (from beach or boat), and a few clips filmed by a drone at a downwards angle, and a few slow sweeps as well.

Looking for some tips for directions and approaches that probably would work well.
thx in advance

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: Ideas to make oceanwater look like oil-contaminated
on May 17, 2017 at 9:22:54 pm

I'd avoid motion tracking. How do you motion track water? You'd have to do things by hand.

You can use a combination of Fractal Noise and Colorama to make that rainbow-looking oil look. Animate the fractal noise to make the colors move a bit. Precomp it. Use the water as a distortion map for the precomp.

That oughta get you close.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]