Rendering DVCPRO50 MOV from AE

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Daniel Terrazas
Rendering DVCPRO50 MOV from AE
on May 16, 2017 at 4:03:31 pm
Last Edited By Daniel Terrazas on May 16, 2017 at 4:17:00 pm

Hi,

I've being asked to conform a SD video for broadcast with MOV as the wrapper and DVCPRO50 as its codec, but Quicktime doesn't have DVCPRO50 within its codecs in the AE list. Can I use DV50 NTSC instead? And also where can I change the bitrate since 50Mbit/s is required?

Can Adobe Media Encoder do the job? The DVCPRO50 preset only allow me to export in P2 format.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Return to posts index

Tero Ahlfors
Re: Rendering DVCPRO50 MOV from AE
on May 16, 2017 at 4:21:37 pm

[Daniel Terrazas] " Quicktime doesn't have DVCPRO50 within its codecs in the AE list. "

The Quicktime pro codecs are available on Mac only.

[Daniel Terrazas] "Can I use DV50 NTSC instead?"

No.

[Daniel Terrazas] "And also where can I change the bitrate since 50Mbit/s is required?"

You don't change the bitrate. DVCPRO50 is pretty tightly specced format that doesn't have much settings for the user.

You have a couple of options:

-Go to a colleague/friend/whatever that has a Mac.
-Pay a post production company to do it.
-Try some free tool that uses FFMBC codecs.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on May 16, 2017 at 4:31:42 pm
Last Edited By Dave LaRonde on May 16, 2017 at 4:33:02 pm

[Tero Ahlfors] "The Quicktime pro codecs are available on Mac only."

Not really. QT 7 Pro for Win does NOT do the ProRes family of codecs at all. That's just for apple machines.
But QT Pro can do pretty much everything else. It might even do DVCPro 50, which I used almost every day for a long time.

My advice: if you're willing to invest 35 bucks, check out QT Pro before you take it to a production house.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Daniel Terrazas
on May 16, 2017 at 9:40:14 pm

OK this is what I end up doing, in case someone could find my experience useful.

Based on what Dave commented I checked and found that AE will not export to MOV DVCPRO50 but Quicktime pro (with Pro Codecs) will. The only downside is it doesn't seem to retain interlaced settings. So I'll send the file to the network and see what they reply.

They being a cable network abroad that I don't have any contact with I don't think I'm going to get a very detailed reply but I'll keep this post updated with whatever the outcome is.

Daniel Terrazas
2D/3D Generalist

Return to posts index

Daniel Terrazas
on May 16, 2017 at 4:43:10 pm

Thanks for the reply Tero, but I'm currently using a Mac and as you can see in the image I have the Quicktime ProCodecs installed

But there's no option to export a MOV file with DVCPRO 50 in the list.

Can you or anyone point me in the direction of a third party encoder that can do the job. I understand that FCP can do it but I don't have access to it since is an obsolete software.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on May 16, 2017 at 4:47:39 pm

Tell you what -- render out a small section in DV 50... just a clip. Send it off. Ask if this will do the trick. I think it might....

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Kevin Camp
on May 16, 2017 at 5:02:28 pm

I've heard that DV50 and DVCPRO50 are the same, but I cannot confirm that. A test or a call to the other party would be the best plan.

Kevin Camp
Art Director
KCPQ, KZJO & KRCW

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]