FORUMS: list search recent posts

How to have multiple icons be a part of 1 graphic when zoomed out.

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
James Grochowalski
How to have multiple icons be a part of 1 graphic when zoomed out.
on May 15, 2017 at 9:23:57 pm

Hey all,
Hopefully this question makes sense.

I want to show a grid of app icons that are covering the screen mostly with some gaps in between.
I want to zoom out of this showing a larger field of app icons that ends up being part of a question mark. So basically its like your zooming out from a extreme close up of the question mark and showing that its made up of a ton of app icons. Anyone know of the best way to do this? I have all vector art for this.

Thanks!

Return to posts index

Kevin Camp
Re: How to have multiple icons be a part of 1 graphic when zoomed out.
on May 15, 2017 at 10:12:47 pm

I'd layout all the icons in the shape of the question mark. you could do this in after effects, or you could do it in illustrator or photoshop (obviously illustrator has the advantage of maintaining your vector artwork).

if you did it in after effects, you'd then bring that question mark comp into a new comp (if you did it in ai, or ps you'd just import that file into ae and add it to the new comp). then you'd do your scaling animation to go from close up to wide, or you could make it a 3d layer and animation the z-position.

if you are looking for a short-cut to making laying out all the icons in the shape of a question mark, then a particle plugin like trap code's particular could help out. you'd need to set the emitter to be a layer grid, setting the question mark as the layer emitter and the grid settings as needed, and then create a custom particle with all the icons... if you have particular, i can help with that.

if you go this route of the photoshop route, you'll also need to make the dimensions of the question mark large enough so the close-up won't need to be scaled up beyond 100%.

Kevin Camp
Art Director
KCPQ, KZJO & KRCW

Return to posts index

Daniel Waldron
Re: How to have multiple icons be a part of 1 graphic when zoomed out.
on May 16, 2017 at 4:03:16 pm

It appears the Pastiche plugin can also achieve this fairly quickly.

If you don't care about some icons being cut off, you could make a really big grid of your icons, then use a question mark as a track matte and zoom in and out of that.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]