FORUMS: list search recent posts

Animate stroke with gradient on it that follows the strokes shape.

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Albin Christiansson
Animate stroke with gradient on it that follows the strokes shape.
on May 15, 2017 at 12:56:06 pm
Last Edited By Albin Christiansson on May 15, 2017 at 1:29:27 pm

Hey Guys,

me and a few colleagues have been pulling our hair out trying to figure out a smooth way to solve this.
We want to animate a stroke with a gradient on it. When sketching in illustrator we've done this using the blend-tool. Here is a storyboard:

(Link if that doesn't work: storyboard_2-01.png )

We're looking for a result similar to this: https://imgur.com/a/fcyEH without the tapering on the end of the stroke.
We've tried Omino Snake, and BAO boa. But it does not correspond to our needs.

We want the start of the path to always have the same color and the end to always have the same color.
So no matter how long the "tail" is it should always be corresponding to the gradient value.

Please let me know if there's anything you'd like me to clarify.

Return to posts index

Richard Garabedain
Re: Animate stroke with gradient on it that follows the strokes shape.
on May 15, 2017 at 3:30:36 pm

animate a small circle performing your animation..pre compose and then add echo effect..change the timing and decay....with say 100 echoes..

Return to posts index

Albin Christiansson
on May 15, 2017 at 3:38:34 pm

Sir. That is exactly what we we're looking for. Thank you so incredibly much!
Right in front of our eyes.

Return to posts index

Kevin Camp
on May 15, 2017 at 3:50:39 pm

the vegas effect may work for you. you'd need to set the number segments to 1 and file with the midpoint opacity, midpoint position and maybe the end opacity values to get the length. and set the stroke to use the mask/path.

if you needed the length to adjust to speed, you'd need to manually keyframe the midpoint position, or we could use an expression.

the echo effect could also work. i'd use the circle effect to create a circle, and animate the center property (if you have a path already, you can sect the mask path and copy/paste that into the center property). then add the echo effect, increasing the number of echoes, decreasing the decay value and changing the echo operator to composite in back. adjusting the echo time can help smooth out the 'stepping'.

if you don't use the circle effect (maybe you animate a circular layer/shape layer around), you can still use echo, just add it to an adjustment layer above the animated circle. note, that adjustment layers will effect all layers below it.

Kevin Camp
Art Director
KCPQ, KZJO & KRCW

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]