FORUMS: list search recent posts

Confused about RGB type custom colorspace profiles

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Tom Clasman
Confused about RGB type custom colorspace profiles
on May 11, 2017 at 7:19:15 pm
Last Edited By Tom Clasman on May 11, 2017 at 8:40:00 pm

I try to to work in sRGB, for compatibility and simplicity. So even though I've got a wide gamut capable monitor, I have my monitor set on sRGB display mode.
Though, according to many serious measurements, Dell's factory sRGB mode doesn't output values corresponding perfectly to sRGB. Therefore I am using a color space profile which compensates for the difference between the monitor's output and true sRGB.
The colorspace profile is created by a very experienced user, using LaCie Blue Eye Pro colorimeter and software package. Many people say this colorspace compensation makes the outputting colors on this particular monitor match true sRGB very closely. I'm good with that.

I'd like to use a color profile in After Effects to ensure that the video end result gets rendered out as much as possible like I intend and see it. And I would want to stick to the sRGB range for this.

My concern is which colorspace profile should I use in my After Effects project settings. Should I use either the HDTV or CIE RGB colorspace, even though these do not correspond exactly to how things look on my screen? Or should I set After Effects to use the same colorspace profile that I am using in my Windows Color Management settings, even though this is a compensatory color adjustment and not a declaration of true sRGB values?

Thx for any advice

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
Re: Confused about RGB type custom colorspace profiles
on May 16, 2017 at 10:03:34 am

You should generally set your working space to match the color profile you'd like to use for your rendered, distributed output. This is usually either sRGB or Rec. 709, and the differences between them are vanishingly slight.

When you enable View > Use Display Color Management, Ae will transform the contents of the viewer panel (which use the working space) to the color profile of your monitor, in order to preserve the appearance of colors. This conversion is for your display only and will not impact the file you render.

Walter Soyka
Designer & Mad Scientist at Keen Live [link]
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
@keenlive [twitter]   |   RenderBreak [blog]   |   Profile [LinkedIn]

Return to posts index

Tom Clasman
Re: Confused about RGB type custom colorspace profiles
on May 17, 2017 at 7:57:54 pm

Ah thanks. That will settle it for me.
Sometimes all one needs to hear is what one sort of/kindof already suspects. Best to ask though :)

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]