FORUMS: list search recent posts

Playback on V. 14.2.0.198

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ward DeMartino
Playback on V. 14.2.0.198
on May 11, 2017 at 6:07:55 pm

Hi All,
I'm using the playback feature by pressing spacebar on version 14.2.0.198. I had the same version on another computer--I moved computers the other day. When I press the spacebar to playback my comp, the time indicator would slide to the right as it was doing the playback. The red line would also slide to the right. Now that I have moved machines, when I press the spacebar once to playback, only the red line moves. Then I press the spacebar again, and the red line returns to the position and re-plays , but then when I press the spacebar again to stop the playback, the red line stops and my time indicator jumps ahead to a seemingly random spot (not to the same exact spot where the red line was when I pressed the spacebar to stop). When I was on the last machine, I would press the spacebar to start playback, and then hit it again to stop, and my time indicator was moving the whole time and would stop at the exact spot. This was super helpful so that I could mark the exact point where to have a new layer come in. Is this a setting that I accidentally enabled? Is there a way to change it so that I could have the time indicator stop at a specific point?

As a side note, I'm not sure if this has anything to do with it, but on the old machine, the timeline only displayed minutes and seconds (and also frames, etc if selected), but now on this new machine, it will only display seconds along with frames, like 23:15f, whereas before it would be like 20:05s). Is this part of the issue or totally unrelated?

Thanks for taking the time to reply to this newbie question ☺
Ward

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
Re: Playback on V. 14.2.0.198
on May 11, 2017 at 6:38:10 pm

[Ward DeMartino] "When I was on the last machine, I would press the spacebar to start playback, and then hit it again to stop, and my time indicator was moving the whole time and would stop at the exact spot. This was super helpful so that I could mark the exact point where to have a new layer come in. Is this a setting that I accidentally enabled? Is there a way to change it so that I could have the time indicator stop at a specific point? "

Pull open the Preview panel (Window > Preview if it's not already open), and check the "Move time to preview time" option under "On (Spacebar) Stop:"

[Ward DeMartino] "As a side note, I'm not sure if this has anything to do with it, but on the old machine, the timeline only displayed minutes and seconds (and also frames, etc if selected), but now on this new machine, it will only display seconds along with frames, like 23:15f, whereas before it would be like 20:05s). Is this part of the issue or totally unrelated? "

Info on changing time units here, but some of what you see is related to how far in or out you're zoomed.
https://helpx.adobe.com/after-effects/using/timecode-time-display-units.htm...

Walter Soyka
Designer & Mad Scientist at Keen Live [link]
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
@keenlive [twitter]   |   RenderBreak [blog]   |   Profile [LinkedIn]

Return to posts index

Ward DeMartino
Re: Playback on V. 14.2.0.198
on May 11, 2017 at 7:10:34 pm

Walter, thank you so much. Totally appreciate the helpful tips!! Totally worked for the preview. Am looking into the time display now.

Thank you!!
Ward

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]