FORUMS: list search recent posts

How can you create masks from 3d text layers ?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Josh Rod
How can you create masks from 3d text layers ?
on May 10, 2017 at 10:31:25 pm

I realise I could just do it my hand, but text is tricky especially when there is alot of it.

I have a 3d text layer and I want to use it with VideoCoPilot: Saber so i can apply the Saber effect to a 3d text layer. I tried apply Saber to a normal 3d text layer but it just turns 2d - i can rotate this but it rotates the bk solid too.

I then tried using masks, I used the 'Create mask from text option' but it makes me a 2d mask, I rotated the mask and put it on the saber effect but it turns 2d. I can rotate it but as i said it alsoo rotates the solid to which the mask is on.

Sorry if confusing.

Something like this -
http://imgur.com/a/QQpZQ

a need a mask of this text.

Return to posts index

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
Re: How can you create masks from 3d text layers ?
on May 11, 2017 at 11:47:55 am

After you create your text layer and before you turn 3d on, duplicate the layer an turn visibility off. Add on top a solid layer and apply Saber to it. Choose "Core Type" to be "Text Layer" (under "Customize Core") and have the Text layer that you just turned visibility off on, as your source. Then turn 3d on to the solid layer that has Saber on and match the first text layer's animation.

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
Senior VFX Artist

Return to posts index

Josh Rod
on May 11, 2017 at 3:43:13 pm

Thanks for help but it still isn't a 3d perspective?

Return to posts index

Richard Garabedain
on May 11, 2017 at 4:28:47 pm

the only way ive seen is to make sure your 3d object has a null controller and attach the saber to that null and turn off accept lights ..zero the postion and rotation and there you go.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]